X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syrian variety called Sefrawi

Hello, I thought I would share the photo of this variety. I've been looking for it for years, and finally found it. It's yellow and red pulp with delicious flavor.

Looks nice Bass. Congrats on finally being able to track it down.

Comment

Congrats on hunting it down Bass, it looks amazing. Glad to hear it's delicious.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Looks like a good one to have.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I'm glad your hard work paid off. Best of luck with it.
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Few years ago the care taker of the ACSAD germplasm located in Syria shared some info on research they've done, on different fig varieties. I've donated material to them and while I was in process of getting some cuttings from them the war started, and hell broke loose. Now the germplasm is not functioning, and no clue what happened to the 200 varieties of figs they have. I'm eager to preserve whatever varieties I can locate.
            i was able to track very few, but so far Sefrawy (also known as Sfeiry) proved common type, and does well for my area.

Comment

Hopefully they are not all lost and the germplasm comes back on line one day. With any luck you will be able to track them all down!
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thats a beauty my friend
                Cheers

Comment

The Agency in charge of the germplasm is not a government agency, but they involved in research and preserving plants for dry climates. Apparently they're still active but the orchard that has all the figs, almonds, pistachio and some other stuff is not accessible do to rebels in the area.

Comment

I see.

That's a shame, hopefully things calm down in the area soon.

Comment

That is very sad. One bomb or missile from any of the participants in this terrible war could destroy the collection. So much senseless destruction and killing.
                      Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                      X