X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pot air layers

So in June, I decided to try some air layering with trade gallon sized pots on some side shoots on my in ground figs(at ground level). It seems to have worked pretty well, but how do you get the roots to stay in the stupid pots. And of course, now at the end of the season, I find out I probably would have gotten a lot more ripe figs if I had just pruned those extra shoots. O well, always keep learning.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Wow.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

That's not a baby AL for sure! Good job
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Got roots?
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

If you keep an air gap between the pot and the ground they will "air prune".
          Paul Robert,Simi Valley,Ca. 9b

Comment

• cjmach1973
            cjmach1973 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. How big of a gap?

• tyro
            tyro commented
            Editing a comment
            I just determine how much space I need to get under the layer to remove it.2 inches will do.

That's absolutely gorgeous, those roots are amazing. Great job, I think everyone is jealous of that air layer. Any pics of the full plant now it's hopefully transplanted? What variety was this?
          May the Figs be with you!
          ​​​​​

Comment

• cjmach1973
            cjmach1973 commented
            Editing a comment
            They are Hardy Chicago, and I just worked them out yesterday, so they are zapped by frost and dormant.

Holy smokes!
          Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Very nice 😀
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Nice job, Art! What variety is that?
              Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

They are Hardy Chicago. I am potting them up today and putting them in an unheated area. The very top of a couple of them were too green and got nipped by the cold, but they still average about 40 inches tall.
                Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

All done potting. Only had to destroy 1 of the pots during the process.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

They look great Art, thankfully pots are cheap and easy to replace.
                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• cjmach1973
                      cjmach1973 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I drive a recycle truck in a large city, so pots and shipping boxes are free
                  Working...
                  X