X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Lemon or Meyer Lemon?

Hello,

I just moved to TX and there is a small lemon tree behind my house. The owner did not know if it was a regular lemon or a meyer lemon. Is there any way to tell?

Also, do lemon trees get large? It is pretty close to the house, and also basically on top of the septic system so I was thinking of relocating it. Right now I have way too many shade trees in my yard so first I need to have them cleared, along with the ugly scrub pines that are threatening to fall on my house!

Thanks for any comments or advice!

Phil
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

I have a Meyers Improved lemon tree in the back and it is an almost constant source of lemons year round -one of my most reliable fruit trees. The Meyer is supposed to be slightly sweeter than the regular lemon. It might be helpful to go to a nursery or specialty grocery store and look at their regular lemons and Meyer lemons. The tree will get as large as the rootstock. Some citrus rootstocks are dwarf and the tree will stay around six to eight feet tall. Most of the citrus trees at the garden centers here are dwarf unless you special order one larger, so I would guess yours was as well. Mine is natural size and would be around twenty feet if I didn't keep it trimmed back. My kids were disappointed when I got it and made it a living Christmas tree one year, but they grew to appreciate it once it was in the ground and started fruiting.
    Mara, Southern California,
    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Meyer lemons are rounder and have a slightly more orangey yellow skin than the grocery store lemons. The skin is also not as pebbly, it's smoother.
      USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Meyer will also turn orange if left on the tree. They can also be grown from rooted cuttings and not grafted so it could be on its own roots.
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Meyer lemons make the absolute best lemon bars, according to my grandkids...
          USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. These are rounder than normal lemons so I assume they are Meyer. They are turning yellow now so I should get a taste soon!

Phil
            Phil
            Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Here's a good description:
              "Look for moderately seedy, large orange-sized fruits to identify the Meyer lemon tree. Meyer lemon trees are small with spreading crowns, nearly thornless and produce fruits that are more orange-colored in the rinds and pulp. Meyer lemons are dwarf trees that are hybrids of lemons and mandarin oranges."

http://www.gardenguides.com/105563-i...mon-trees.html
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Most all Meyer Lemons sold are on their own very hardy rootstock. Then they will regrow true if they are killed to the ground by a severe freeze. All sold now are Improved whether they are labeled that way or not.
                Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Working...
                X