X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: paw paw seeds

Anyone need some paw paw seeds? I saved some from my sampling of random wild paw paws thinking that I might play with growing some seedlings. Then reality hit when I realized that I barely have time for my current garden projects. From my visual guesstimate, I can send two packets of roughly 15-20ish seeds.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Hi Johnny!

I am currently growing 2 cultivars of pawpaw & just planted them this fall.. Really REALLY hoping they make it through the winter.. At least if one makes it I'd have hope! Lol! At any rate, I may be interested if you still have them. I say "may" because I'm unsure how to make sure the seeds survive until spring. Would you be able to tell me how to store them so I would be successful? That's if someone didn't already scoop them up of course

I've never eaten a pawpaw but I can hardly wait to try one! I wanted to go hunting for them this fall but had no clue where to find them. I live about 90 mins from you here in PA.
    Jamie D
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

Jamie, whereabouts in PA are you? I know a couple areas for pawpaws (too late now) in Berks and Lancaster counties.

They are easy to grow from seed, put them in the fridge for 3+ months in damp potting soil (they CANNOT be allowed to dry out), sow seeds in spring, wait patiently til July or August and they will sprout. Watch for rodents stealing the seeds, though.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Kelby, I really appreciate the info, I knew there was something specific about keeping them cool & moist for a certain length of time but I was not sure of the specifics.

I live in the Lehigh Valley, are you familiar with where Easton and the Poconos are? I usually describe my township (Plainfield Twp) as being right in between those two places because nobody seems to have ever heard of it lol. I see you are in SE Pa?? Awesome! Maybe you are not too far from me?

Thanks for the tips on where to find wild pawpaws too.. I am just dying to find myself a wild pawpaw patch in September time frame.. I look all the time by me but no luck ;(

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        I sort of know your area, I'm down by Reading. If you are familiar with the Pagoda, several roads leading up to it are loaded with pawpaws. Also some native persimmons. They are generally more common along rivers; the Susquehanna seems to have lots. Haven't seen any along the Schuykill yet. Bass is near Bethlehem (he owns Trees of Joy) and is a pawpaw fan, has lots of trees.

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I actually bought my 2 pawpaws from Bass! He lives maybe 10 minutes from me and he is the person who I caught fig fever from! Lol! Small world huh? I've definitely been to Readington quite a few times, and I've heard of Pagoda too but never been. Will definitely be checking it out though next September! Now that I know there are pawpaw patches there that is! Thank you soooo much, I can finally plan my pawpaw hunt now

Jamie,

I do still have some seeds left. You can PM me your address, and I'll mail you the seeds. I don't know much about growing paw paw seedlings since I've never personally tried it. It doesn't sound that hard from what I've read, just kind of a slow process.

Your current trees should make it through the winter. I planted mine in the spring of 2014 and they made it through the winter with no protection.
      Johnny
      Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Johnny I will definitely shoot you a PM then.. Thanks a bunch!
    Working...
    X