X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hi. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Casey. I am a new member and novice fig grower, with a small collection of young trees. I am looking forward to participating in your group.

Welcome Casey,
    I feel you will really like it here. I hope you have some more room for figs..
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Thank you. I made a large order of cuttings from the germplasm repository this year. So far, my rooting success rate hasn't been the best. I have been using the paper towel method.

Comment

You can look up a lot of information here using the search bar. Then if you can not find what your looking for then just ask. There are a lot of pros here that can help you. I have a lot to learn myself.. Lol
        Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Welcome aboard!
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

Thank you both.

Comment

I personally love coco coir. You can pick it up at the pet store as a solid brick, and you rehydrate with water. You want it damp, but not soaked. I had pretty much 100% success rate in getting cuttings to root once I switched over to that method (had used sphagnum moss before that, which worked okay, as well as rooting directly in perlite, which didn't work for me at all). Just get a tupperware box and fill it up with the stuff. Fluff it up a bunch and bury the cuttings.

If you choose to go this route, the brick-o-coir sucks to rehydrate. Its easy if you just let it soak up a ton of water, but you don't want it too wet, so you end up getting it damp, then breaking it apart with your hands. My hands always hurt like devil when I'm done with it, but it works great.
              Last edited by brettjm; 10-29-2015, 05:46 AM. Reason: details
              Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
                Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

First of all, welcome to "OurFigs". Now that you are part of it, it's your group too

Here's a link some new members find helpful, it has lots of good things in it including how to edit your signature so people know what you want to be called and what zone you are in.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...erenced-topics

Second, I agree with Brett about the coco coir. I'm relatively new to collecting figs but I've tried most of the methods: paper towels, sphagnum moss, direct planting and coco coir.

So far I've had the most luck with coco coir and direct planting but everyone needs to find a method that works best for them.

So again, welcome to "our" group.
                  Last edited by fitzski; 10-29-2015, 07:29 AM.
                  Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Welcome Casey!
                    I did not have the best success with the paper towel method either, I do better rooting in minimally damp perlite. Many methods work.

Good luck with rooting and with fig growing!
                    Ed
                    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome Casey, Good Rooting!
                        PPP
                        Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Welcome Casey.
                          Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Welcome to Ourfigs Casey.
                            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Welcome! Where are you from and what varieties of figs are you growing?
                              Bob C.
                              Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Welcome Casey!
                                Rafael
                                Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Welcome to the group.
                                  Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Welcome
                                    I kept trying a lot of rooting methods with little success until I tried a humidity box with bottom heat and a shop light over, now I get almost 100%
                                    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                                    Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Welcome, Casey! Good luck with your cuttings.

I started with the paper towel in a baggie method which didn't work, probably because I keep drowning them with overzealous care and they rotted. Current setup of ProMix HP in plastic cups with air holes in the sides, set in a clear bin with a lid, has worked much better but not 100%. Everyone seems to have their own elaborate set up based on trial, error, and hand-wavy voodoo.
                                      Sarah
                                      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• DBJohnson
                                        DBJohnson commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        The secret is in the hand-wavy part.

• Sarahkt
                                        Sarahkt commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        It really is.

Wow, thank you all for being so supportive. I am looking forward to trying all of these great methods! There are several fig trees in the area... In answer to Bob's question, I have Atreano, Stella, Black Mission, Green Ischia, LSU Purple, Petite Negri, Hollier, Lattarula, Black Spanish, a start from my aunt's "Brown Turkey" fig, and an unknown fig from a local day care center. I am trying to root a Texas Everbearing fig. No luck yet.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the first part of Bob's question. I live with my husband and four children in Battle Ground, Washington.

Comment

Hi Casey, welcome to our forum. Like growcrazy, I use a humidity container, bottom heat and shop lights. My rooting medium is coco coir/perlite mix, 75/25 respectively. I also use a rooting hormone, either dip n grow or clonex and score the cuttings. While not at near 100 % success, doing fairly well. Good luck and have fun.
                                          Last edited by DaveL; 10-29-2015, 06:14 PM.
                                          Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Welcome to figs anonymous
                                              Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I have a problem with figs...

Comment

• brettjm
                                                  brettjm commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  We don't use that word. It's not a "problem." Only our S.O.'s, family, and friends see it as a "problem"

The only problems are things like not having enough space for all your plants, or trying to decide between Black Madeira or Preto.

To be fair though, my S.O. is quite supportive of my hobby. Shame she doesn't like figs...
                                              Working...
                                              X