X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aligning fig name to flavor category

Would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if I have made any mistakes below regarding fig name vs. flavor category as I'm trying to update my database.

From what I've read there are five generally agreed upon fig flavor categories:
    • Adriatic Berry
    • Bordeaux
    • Dark
    • Honey
    • Sugar
    Fig Name Flavor Category
    Alma Adriatic Berry
    Battaglia Green Adriatic Berry
    Col de Dame Noir Adriatic Berry
    Emerald Strawberry (UCR 143-36) Adriatic Berry
    Green Greek Adriatic Berry
    Green Ischia Adriatic Berry
    JH Adriatic Adriatic Berry
    Italian '88 Adriatic Berry
    Monstrueuse Adriatic Berry
    Osborne Prolific Adriatic Berry
    Smith Adriatic Berry
    Vasilika Sika Adriatic Berry
    White King/Desert King Adriatic Berry
    Cavaliere Bordeaux (Berry)
    Marseilles Monticello Bordeaux (Berry)
    Olympia Bordeaux (Berry)
    Ronde de Bordeaux Bordeaux (Berry)
    St. Jerome Bordeaux (Berry)
    St. Rita Bordeaux (Berry)
    Sultane Bordeaux (Berry)
    UCR-184-15s Bordeaux (Berry)
    Violette de Bordeaux (Negronne) Bordeaux (Berry)
    Vista Bordeaux (Berry)
    Danny's Delight Dark (Berry)
    Dauphine Dark (Berry)
    Fiorone Di Ruvo Dark (Berry)
    Goutte D'Or Dark (Berry)
    Malta Black Dark (Berry)
    Marseilles Black VS Dark (Berry)
    Morena Dark (Berry)
    Nero 600m Dark (Berry)
    Sal's EL Dark (Berry)
    Takoma Violet Dark (Berry)
    Beale Honey
    Brooklyn White Honey
    Lemon Honey
    Mary Lane Seedless Honey
    Celeste (malta) Sugar
    Longue d'Aout Sugar
    Nordland Sugar
    Zingarella Sugar

Thanks,

smithmal

Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Kelby has created an extensive list and you might want to check his list to see if they are the same as yours.

His list is linked from his signature.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Hi Malcolm!
      I think Marseilles Montecello is a green fig in the honey or sugar category-from reading only, I don't have it
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        i have white marseilles from petals from the past which is supposed to be 'jefferson's fig that he had at monticello' and from what i've seen/read it is similar to Lattarula/Italian Honey.

It hasn't fruited yet but it's habit is similar to my 'Italian Honey' Fig from figtrees.net.

http://petalsfromthepast.com/catalog...marseille.html

Thanks for the info. I have checked Kelby's list and will amend mine to align with his.

Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

I like seeing lists like this. Any plans to publish it online?
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Don, yes, I could put it online like Kelby's and others, I just want to make sure that my list is accurate in its detail first.

Comment

I have to tell you I feel perplexed by this. Where is the taste of melon mentioned?

Comment

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              IMO, the only 'melon' taste that I've found is the watermelon rind flavor of an unripe fig. There are several figs that may develop a Honeydew or Cantaloupe like flavor when fully ripe but they still have a flavor profile that places them into the established flavor groups.

Just for information sake, below is a table listing the flavor category, flavor description and fig examples. This information was taken from a thread posted by ascpete found here.
            Flavor Category Flavor Description Examples of
            Adriatic Berry Sugar sweet, ranging from lightly sweet to very sweet with berry flavor, yellow or green skin and usually red pulp, with more complex additional flavors developing when fully ripe. Fig flavor can range from none to light. Seed crunch can range from none to strong with nutty flavor. B. Green Ischia, Conadria,

C. Adriatic JH, Battaglia Green, Green Greek, Adriatic, Strawberry Verte, CalVert, Vasilika Sika, Stella
            Bordeaux Berry Sweet, with a berry taste which is rich with a slightly complex additional flavors, when ripe (jammy interior), other wise it has a standard Dark Flavor. Fig flavor can range from none to light. Seed crunch can range from none to strong with nutty flavor. A. Ronde de Bordeaux,

B. Violet de Bordeaux, Mission, Vista, Petite Negri, Beers black,

C. Valle Negra, Noir de Caromb, Kathleen Black
            Dark Berry Mildly sweet to very sweet,some degree of berry flavor, and some degree of acidity, some with complex additional flavors. Fig flavor can range from none to some (medium). Seed crunch can range from none to strong with nutty flavor. A. Marsailles Black VS*, Tacoma Violet*,

B. Hardy Chicago, Sal EL, Gino's Black, Portuguese Black, Maltese falcon,

C. Dark Sicilian, Papa John, Scotts Black, Etc.
            Honey Honey sweet, ranging from lightly sweet to very sweet with rich (creamy) and or complex additional flavors. Fig flavor can range from none to light. Seed crunch can range from none to strong with nutty flavor. A. Italian Honey*, Lattarula*,

B. Atreano, Brooklyn White, White Marseilles, Gold, Hollier, Champagne

C. Kadota, Dotatto, Etc.
            Sugar Sugar sweet, ranging from lightly sweet to very sweet with added flavor from light maple to brown sugar and range from simple to complex additional flavors. Fig flavor can range from none to strong.Seed crunch can range from none to strong with nutty flavor. A. Celeste*, improved Celeste*, Southern Brown Turkey*

B. English Brown Turkey, O'Rourke, Italian Ever-bearing, Sal's Corleone, Palermo Red, Sicilian Red, Panevino Dark, Aldo, Weeping Black, Brunswick, Magnolia, Paradiso.

C. California Brown Turkey, Black Jack, , Etc.
            Exotic No Description? B. Fico Preto,

C. Black Madeira, Ischia Black
            LEGEND: A = Early Ripening; B = Late Ripening; C = Late Ripening; * Cold Hardy

Comment

I have been wondering which dark category some of the high class dark figs are in like Preto and BM, Genovese Nero, Cavaliere, Pastelliere, Lebanese Red.
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ed, I've never seen those listed in a category. I think there should be a Madeira or syrup category, too. I just had a thread listing some of those types, they certainly are a unique type. I don't think Pete grows those so they didn't get a group.
                https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                SE PA
                Zone 6

Comment

I haven't tasted many of the "high class dark figs" but if they have a "Berry flavor" they can be placed in the Dark or Bordeaux Flavor group...

Most figs can and will develop the "syrup" interior when they're fully ripe and its not actually a flavor.

In my limited personal experience and opinion there are actually only two flavor groups, Plain and Berry, all figs fall into one of there flavor groups. The majority of fig growers including myself prefer the more intense flavors and flavor profiles of the Berry Flavored figs regardless of their skin colors.

Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Kelby
                    Kelby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Trust me, aligning Preto/Black Madeira with dark berry varieties is like calling a Lamborghini a coupe. Technically true but not telling the full story!

• AscPete
                    AscPete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kelby,
                    That's why I suggested the 'Exotic' category for the collectors.

• Rafaelissimmo
                    Rafaelissimmo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pete I like your observation about intense berry figs, I think its pretty accurate.

Here is an earlier thread on this:
                  http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...er-latest-figs
                  It includes the table I drew up:
                  Thinking along the lines of mainly flavor and color, I've begun to compile tentative lists surely not mistake-free, far from complete, and more than a little arbitrary:
                  1. DARK SUGAR GEL (DARK SKIN, LIGHT PULP) --- LSU IMPROVED CELESTE, LSU O'ROURKE, HUNT, CELESTE, LSU TIGER, SWEET GEORGE
                  2. GOLD HONEY GEL (GOLD/YELLOW SKIN, LIGHT PULP) --- LSU CHAMPAGNE, JANICE, ALMA, KADOTA, PETER'S HONEY, LSU GOLD, EXCEL, TROJANO, SCOTT'S YELLOW, BRANDY, BARADA, DEANNA, GOLDEN RIVERSIDE (278-128)
                  3. INTENSE LIGHT BERRY JAM: "ADRIATIC" (LIGHT SKIN, DARK PULP) --- BATTAGLIA GREEN, PARADISO GM-9, CALVERTE, VERTE, ISCHIA GREEN, ADRIATIC, PANACHEE, ADRIATIC JH
                  4. INTENSE DARK BERRY JAM: "PREMIER" (DARK SKIN / DARK PULP) --- NERO BARNISOTTE, FIGO PRETO / BLACK MADEIRA, NOIRE DE CAROMBE / KATHLEEN'S BLACK, BOURJASOTTE NOIRE, BROGIOTTO NERO, VIOLETTE SOLLIES, COL DE DAME NOIRE
                  5. MOUNTAIN BERRY JAM: "MT ETNA" (DARK SKIN, DARK PULP) --- MARSEILLES BLACK, TAKOMA VIOLET, GINO'S BLACK, PAPA JOHN, KEDDIE, GINOSO, NATALINA, SAL'S, HARDY CHICAGO, ZINGARELLA, DARK PORTUGUESE, ROSSI DARK, SPANISH UNKNOWN, SALEM DARK, BLACK BETHLEHEM, MARYLAND BERRY, MALTA BLACK, DANNY'S DELIGHT, BLACK GREEK?, ST RITA, BLACK PORTUGAL
                  6. MOLASSES BERRY JAM: "BORDEAUX" (VERY DARK SKIN, DARK PULP) --- VISTA, NERO 600M, PETITE NEGRI, NEGRONNE, VIOLETTE DE BORDEAUX, VALLE CALDA (mislabeled VALLE NEGRA), AUBIQUE PETITE?
                  7. DARK BERRY JAM (DARK SKIN, DARK PULP) --- LSU BLACK / SCOTT'S BLACK, MALTA PURPLE RED, RONDE DE BORDEAUX, SICILIAN BLACK, SULTANE, NEGRETTA
                  8. LIGHT BERRY GEL (LIGHT SKIN, DARK PULP) --- WHITE TRIANA, BROOKLYN WHITE, LYNDHURST WHITE / LATAROLLA, BINELLO, CONADRIA, TEXAS BA-1 / SMITH / NEW DAN, GOLDEN CELESTE, FIGOIN
                  9. OTHER LIGHT (LIGHT SKIN, MISC PULP) --- LEMON (BLANCHE), BANANA, LATTERULA, ATREANO, MARY LANE, LONG YELLOW, LSU HOLLIER, ARMENIAN, JURUPA, CHICO STRAWBERRY (SARATOGA), ST ANTHONY
                  10. OTHER DARK (DARK SKIN, MISC PULP) --- PASTILIERE, PARADISO BRONZE, PALERMO RED, PURPLE PASSION, LSU PURPLE, MISSION, BROOKLYN DARK, OSBORNE PROLIFIC, WUHAN, BEALL, BAVARIAN VIOLET, LSU RED, MEGA CELESTE, FLOREA
                  11. UNIQUE GRAY (GRAY SKIN / RED PULP) --- GRISE DE ST JEAN, COL DE DAME GRIS, BOURJASOTTE GRIS, BARNISOTTE GRIS, GRISE OLIVETTE
                  12. SAN PEDRO --- GRANTHAM'S ROYAL / ROYAL VINEYARD, FILACCIANO, FIORONE DI RUVO, DESERT KING
                  13. DIGITATE LEAF (MISCELLANEOUS SKIN & PULP) --- STELLA / DALMATIE, PARADISO GENOVA, MAGNOLIA / BRUNSWICK, EMERALD STRAWBERRY (143-36)
                  The list above originally did not include Brooklyn White, which as I've noted elsewhere has been a tremendous revelation to me this year: quality breba, great production, good size, wonderful flavor, and the only light fig to ripen fruit in ground after total top kill.

Above: I've added Brooklyn White to Light Berry Gel. Also, I've moved Malta Black to Mountain Berry Jam: Mt Etna. No doubt I'll make other adjustments in the future.
                  Last edited by mountainfigs; 10-31-2015, 02:39 PM. Reason: Added "LIGHT" to the title of flavor category 3. Light as in light skin.
                  Tony WV 6b
                  https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

When I say melon, I do mean that cantaloupe or honey dew melon type flavor. I am no expert on figs. But I am a good cook and I have a keen nose (associated with taste). I taste that melon flavor fairly often. I can't be the only one. Sorry this belongs with AscPetes reply but I don't know how to group it with it.

Comment

• AscPete
                      AscPete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can use the 'Comment' drop down button at the bottom of most Posts.

I rarely taste melon flavors when the figs are ripe.

• Blackfoot12
                      Blackfoot12 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      OK. Thanks for that.

Malcolm,

In the OP (Opening Post) there are several cultivars that may not be in their "correct" Flavor group...

Alma - Honey Flavor!
                    Italian '88 - Honey or Sugar flavor?
                    Marseilles Monticello - Honey Flavor!
                    Olympia (n) - Sugar Flavor!
                    St. Jerome - Dark Berry?
                    St. Rita - Dark Berry?
                    Goutte D'Or - Sugar?

And here's photos of figs from the five flavor groups, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...aste#post36347 harvested this season...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6765.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	46279 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6738.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	46276 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5900.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	46278 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6205.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	46275 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6398.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	46277
                    Last edited by AscPete; 11-01-2015, 09:25 AM.
                    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Working...
                    X