X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT sunchokes

So I have grown a clump of sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes), and now the frost has killed the leaves, so I have these 8-9 foot green stems there. Anyone know what I should do with them now?
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

I've been growing them for a few years and I always let the ztem go brown before cutting them close to the ground. And then a few weeks after that I would start harvesting. Kind of the same schedule I use for potatoes. If you mulch heavily like with hay bales, you can harvest them all winter.

Hope this helps.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I'd scrub 'em and throw 'em in the oven!

Comment

That's funny, I've always eaten them raw. I'm researching growing chokes myself, so no advice here! Good luck.

Comment

Yup, just dig them as you need them. They keep in the cold ground. I dug up my first batch, leaving the 2nd batch for later in the month. I like them roasted, and in spinach dip... like artichoke hearts. I like them raw, but they're just so interesting tasting cooked! BTW, make sure you're thorough digging them up. Any that you leave in the ground will re-start your patch next year... which isn't necessarily a bad thing!
          Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• cjmach1973
            cjmach1973 commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks, do you have to peel them?

• SarinaP
            SarinaP commented
            Editing a comment
            For me, it depends on how I'm using them. If you're making a delicate puree with a little cream to be used as a sauce, I would. If you're roasting them or don't mind the earthier flavor, leave the skin on. It's like leaving the skin on a potato.

No. Peeling is not necessary. Scrub them the best you can then peel the parts that are hard to clean.
          Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
          Tony
          Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Sounds really good. I will need to grow these in the future.
            NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

• SarinaP
              SarinaP commented
              Editing a comment
              They're ridiculously easy! I get them fresh from the Asian store, plop them in a container with some dirt, and just let them go. You get more if you plant them in-ground, but I'm lazy and they come back if you don't get every single one harvested.

Never tasted one before so I googled them. Got one curious link:
            http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/th...cause-diarrhea
            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• SarinaP
              SarinaP commented
              Editing a comment
              They don't affect me--but then again, not much that I eat does. I have a friend who gets horrible heartburn when she eats tomato sauce. That's never happened to me either.

• jkuo
              jkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              I was tempted to plant them until I read a similar article. I've got too many family members with sensitive digestive tracts. I opted to stick with sweet potatoes as my digging vegetable.

• GregMartin
              GregMartin commented
              Editing a comment
              My favorite name for them is fartichokes

BTW, so far I haven't noticed anything from using them, but I don't ever eat a lot at a time.
          Working...
          X