X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring to Norfolk Virgina Navalbase from San Diego..... Is my Fig Dream over?

Is there Figs that I can grow in that Zone what so ever? Worst case scenario I can just keep my Figs in Pots then let them go dormant in my garage for the winter right?

Now if you were transferred to the Sub Base in Groton, Ct. I would say the dream is over. Maybe not all you figs will thrive in Va., but with a little more care and attention you'll do fine. Start practicing the fig shuttle. Lol! Thank you again for your service to out great country, no matter what coast your on. Job well done.
    Last edited by DaveL; 10-31-2015, 05:56 PM.
    Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Ha, ha, don't stress, I think you are going to be ok! The winters there are more mild than what I have up here in Maryland and I have several varieties in ground that made it through our past two exceptionally cold winters. Some actually produced pretty well this summer while others not so much because of die-back. But with a normal winter in Norfolk, VA very little damage to figs would occur. I think that the famed fig nursery Paradise Nursery that introduced the Battaglia Green variety used to be located around that part of Virginia. You won't have the wasp, of course, but you have warm/hot summers and a reasonably long fig season, especially when growing in containers, but even when growing in the ground.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

As stated, you'll be fine as long as you aren't dependent on the wasp..,we don't have that critter over here.
        Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

My brother-in-law in Virginia Beach has two figs in-ground that have survived with no dieback for the past 3-4 years. One is a Hardy Chicago that I gave him which survives my zone 5/6 winters in Eastern MA with winter protection.

When I gave him that tree it was 12 inches high, now it's over 6ft tall and wide.

If you interested I could send you one of these after you get settled, just PM me.

Good Luck!
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Clay, if I can keep figs in Colorado, you will have no issues in Norfolk. When is the official move?
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thank you everyone for the support!!!! This news has been really depressing for my Wife and I as we love Paradise San Diego..... We have the Luxury of growing Sub Tropicals, Tropicals (with protection], and Stone Fruits.....

We''ll be there in April so it looks like I'll get a fresh start for Spring..... I'm debating on digging up my Col De Dame Blanc and taking it with me... otherwise I only have a potted Smith, Ronde De Bordeux, El Molino, and Bourjasotte de Noir to take with us.

Comment

If possible, maybe start some cuttings and a couple air layers of CdDB now to have a couple to take with you. Leave a message about the tree and the ourfigs website for the new occupant, create another addict!!!
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

We experienced the same sadness you & your wife are now going through when my husband finished up his Marine Corps career almost three yrs ago. This took us OUT of sunny San Diego (well it was Camp Pendleton in Oceanside to be exact) & into the arctic tundra of eastern PA.. Lol okay it's beautiful & full of life for 6 months of the year.. But dang it was a shock coming back to these frigid temps after a 3 yr tour in paradise.. Ahh the not so distant memories of Christmas lights on Palm trees (and every other tropical you could dream of).. It sure was a sweet deal

Ohhh okay, so back to life on the opposite coast. I've been to Norfolk quite a few times when I was in the USMC back in the day, lots of fun stuff to do around there. While the winter temps are definitely not like San Diego, I think with some adjustments and learning to do that good ole fig shuffle your fig dream need not end! After all, think of us poor fig tree lovers who live way north of you.. battling the blizzards and sub-zero temps for months on end.. God I'm depressed now! Lol! I seriously think you will be just fine.. Don't give up the dream man! Just keep on figgin I say!

Good luck with your PCS & thank you for your service!
                  My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
                  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

There are several large mature in ground fig trees in Norfolk. Some over twenty feet tall in older neighborhoods. Don't worry. Virginia Beach borders Norfolk and is a wonderful place to live.
                    Brian
                    Augusta, GA

Comment

Norfolk, Virginia is growing zone 8a, which is as warm as or probably warmer than Atlanta, Georgia. And as warm as or warmer than almost all of Alabama and Mississippi. You're in good shape for figs.
                      Tony WV 6b
                      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Working...
                      X