X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolly Tiger fig

Almost ripe, 2 or so more days and I should be able to tell the taste. Potted tree, this year rooted.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Beautiful figs.

Is Jolly Tiger a variegated Panachee? I notice the striped stems but the green fig in 1st pic has no stripes. Just curious.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

The green JT figs had slight stripes but not even close to a Panachee. They disappear as a fig ripens .
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Very nice! Tis is tree with white and green leaf correct?
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• greenfig
          greenfig commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes

Nice fig! Hopefully the taste is as nice as its leaves!
        Quy
        SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Belle! Tis is one tree to my wish list!

Comment

Ok, the moment of truth!
            I would say it is one of my best figs this season. Very juicy and large. At this size and relatively late in the season, excellent! Didn't split and ripened evenly.
            Strawberry with some acidity. I think I don't even care about the variegated leaves, it is just a bonus
            Pollinated, you can see the seeds sink.
            Highly recommended!
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• karima
              karima commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, Greenfig, nice fruit. You mentioned "Pollinated" do you mean that JT require pollination? i.e., not a common fig.

• greenfig
              greenfig commented
              Editing a comment
              No, the JT does not require any pollination but I live the wasp area and all my figs become pollinated regardless of if I want that or not.

Congrats.
            Thanks for sharing the photos and info about this cultivar.
            You are one of the first forum members to post your experiences with the Jolly Tiger Fig.

Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thanks, Pete!
              I was really excited when the figs appeared and now even more about the next year. I might plant it in the ground

Comment

This is the second fig,excellent in taste, large and evenly ripened.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I'll start.....

$50.00

Comment

Too late, the fig is gone ...

Comment

Igor, how confident are you that this is JT? It does not look like it to me. I've produced quite a few fruits from two trees and they are honestly the worse figs I've had all year and I've ended up letting most just drop. I have 4 large ones on a tree in my greenhouse right now and I was tempted to give them a try again today but couldn't bring myself to it as I figured I'd be spitting them out again. I have variegated leaves on my plants and the fruits never show stripes on them. Both from very reliable sources, including Jim who I believe is one of the main folks who introduced it to the U.S.
                      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Harvey,
                        100% this is a JT. There are no leaves on it already, I can try to look for some photos from the summer. If not, next year than

Comment

Very puzzling, Igor.

Here are some photos of mine. I purchased cuttings from Marius on 4/17/2015 and grafted a couple onto Panache rootstock. I took a photo of the tree just a few minutes ago showing the fruit on it to be the same as the tree I bought from Jim on 5/1/2015. The tree bought from Jim Leonard on 5/1 was about 15" tall and is now about 8' tall. I've had maybe a dozen fruit from Jim's tree and 4-5 fruits from the tree grafted from Marius' cuttings. The trees are attractive and vigorous, but that's all I think is good about them.

Jim has had fruit as far as I know. He has comments at http://www.jamesleonardartist.me/jol...r-culture.html that he thinks JT is a variant of Panache and I discussed this with him, telling him that I'm quite sure this is not the case, and he told me at that time that he didn't know because he hadn't got fruit.

I've recalled seeing some other fruit photos and searched Facebook and found the following:
                          On 8/12 Barry Bush posted photos of elongated red fruits from his JT and then on 9/6 he posted what he said was an oddly-shaped round purple fruit from his JT. Neither look like mine (though the red ones are somewhat similar) and neither had stripes.
                          On 6/15, 6/17, and 6/18 Bass Samaan posted photos of the same fruit of what he says was a breba JT that look somewhat similar to mine. No stripes.
                          Both also posted photos of their trees that are heavily variegated like mine.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I looked at an email from Jim Leonard from May and he included a photo of a fruit with stripes. This morning Rafed shared photos of striped JT fruits on his Facebook group as well. He says his tree originated from Martin who got his tree from the defunct Asiatica Nursery which is where Jim says his tree came from as well. Very strange.

This makes me wonder if somehow my fruits are breba fruits even though they are on growth that's only a few months old. This has got me wondering why breba fruits are even different than main crop fruits to begin with.

Comment

Harvey,

My cuttings came from Louis Raymond on 2014.

I found his JT by searching online a while back when it was very hard to get a cutting from the forum members.

Comment

Here's a video that Martin (Diesler) made in 2011 and it shows different types of figs on the same tree. The fruit on his solid green branch is similar to what mine are like. I don't have solid green branches on my trees as I pruned them off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivQIAplKXs

Comment

Thanks for the video! Very interesting.
                                  I hope next year my JT in-season figs are the same as 3 weeks before Christmas now
                                  They were quite delicious.

Comment

I have enjoyed several and most of them have had stripes. I added a picture below.
                                    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• HarveyC
                                      HarveyC commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Hershell, do they taste good to you?

Rafed said that even his striped ones were not something to knock you off your feet.

• Hershell
                                      Hershell commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      They are pretty good. I haven't had a ripe one on a variegated limb yet.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                                    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• HarveyC
                                      HarveyC commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Hershell, Martin's video showed a different fruit form on a branch that was solid green. The photo you have here appears to be a green branch (I don't see any variegation in the limited view shown). Do you see any fruits that are not striped?

it's very confusing,
                                    if I may conclude, a thing that is being called as ' JT' could be one of some varieties which its leaf undergoes varigata, so it's likely originate from panache, MD and several other types?
                                    ID, south east Asian region

Comment

Working...
                                    X