X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello all. I have been growing figs for just a couple years now and have maybe 10 or so in ground and I am rooting maybe 20 more right now. My oldest tree is a 4 year old Celeste and I also have Green Ischia, Brown Turkey, Olympian, VDB, Hardy Chicago, Alma, Mission, and several other varieties rooting including JH Adriatic and RDB and Smith. I am interested in figs and I know they will be a part of my life from here on out. I have found great success with coco coir as a rooting medium. I want a Col de Dame as my wish list cultivar and I may delay in getting one just to keep something fresh on the horizon. I hope to learn from everyone.
    Brian
    Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Hello, how's your celeste treat you?
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Welcome, Yeehova! Sounds like you've got a good thing going there. I don't know if I would hold off to long getting the Col de Dame, there will always be another must have.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

My Celeste treats me horribly which is why I am starting more this year. I bought it last year as what I am guessing must be a 3 year tree based on trunk thickness, but I think I set it back when I planted it. It only grew a couple of inches which the dog ate, and then dropped the few figs it did produce. I don't think I ate more than 3 figs from it! I am starting this one from Gloria.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Brian

Comment

Looks like your new cutting is doing rather well, I'm sure you will be rewarded with many figs from it in 2016.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Looks very healthy
            Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Signature test
              Brian

Comment

What brand of coir? I just bought some that's more like grit and fibers. It is pretty useless for rooting. I had a fluffy batch last year but never thought of saving the packaging.
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I bought the 10 lb block from Ebay seller Exotic Cactus Collection
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X