X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rooting cuttings

Can anyone tell me, is it better to use rooting hormones when trying to root cuttings (Does it increase the success rate?) If so, what type are you using? Has anyone tried CloneX? Thanks for your help.

Casey

Its been my experience, http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....arison-6155695 that rooting hormone will speed root development for fig cuttings. You can reduce rooting time by ~ 2 weeks and it will produce larger caliper root initials but it can slow leaf development when applied at higher concentrations or in excessive amounts like covering large portions of the entire cutting. I use Dip N Grow rooting hormone but at the lower concentrations and only apply it to the bottom cut ends. I've never tried Clonex, but its been used successfully by other members. Good Luck.

An earlier topic on rooting hormone, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-are-you-using from the sticky topic on the forums 1st page, Index of frequently Referenced Topics
    Last edited by AscPete; 11-05-2015, 12:29 PM. Reason: additional links.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Ross,
      The scores are lenghtwise (longitudinal) scratches in the bark not girdling (perpendicular) like air layering. The hormone is applied in the early stages of hydration or at the start of rooting.

I no longer put scores on regular sized cuttings just make a new cut at the bottom of the cutting just below the bottom node it exposes a ring of the Cambium layer, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ng-and-storing and dip the fresh cut in rooting hormone before rooting. The bottom cuts and hormone treatment are usually made after a pre-rooting hydration, 2 - 3 days in soggy LFS Moss or Coir before the rooting stage and my current rooting is done with a premoistened Coir mix using the direct plant methods, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...rooting-method .

• ross
      ross commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know Pete. I'm glad someone as helpful as you has all the answers!

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Ross,
      Thanks.
      I don't have all the answers, just did some searches on the fig forums of archived posts and experimented with most of the recommendations to validated the posted info, using my four decades of gardening experiences and over 1,000 fig cuttings collected from in-ground trees in NYC.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have never used Clonex but have had positive results with Dip N' Grow. Just remember with Dip N' Grow only mix small amounts since they say it is only effective for a day or so once mixed with water. Also I would stay away from powdered hormones since from what I have read is that they can promote rotting with fig cuttings. Good luck.
      Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
      Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

I've never had good luck with Dip & Grow but of all the things I've tried, Clonex works best. My current method is to put 2 vertical scores about 1/2 inch long on opposite sides of the cutting at the bottom. The scores just barely expose some dark green. I let it soak in about an inch of KLN over night then apply Clonex to the scores covering all of the green and a little bark. Then i use the Uline bag method, but any method will work fine.
        Bob C.
        Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Ciao Casey

I used dip n grow and got crazy results. Meaning root grow from all parts of cutting because I did no dilute enough. Ruined couple cutting because was too many root. I prefer and suggest clonex gel. It's no brain. Just dip cutting in gel and your done. Plus with dip n grow the mix you make is only good for about 1/2-1 hour and you must disgard. Clonex no waste.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. We have been in the process of changing internet providers, and have been without internet since the sixth.

Comment

Working...
            X