X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone, I'm new to the site and to Fig Growing

Hello all. My name is Edward and I live in Central Florida along the east cost (zone 9). I am a Nurse by profession but have been out of work for the last 5 years due to Major Depression and a couple other mental health issues; which physically prevent me from leaving my house the majority of time. The doctors say gardening will help me deal with leaving the house (even if it is the back yard) and increase my communicating with others, so here I am. I currently have a Brown Turkey plant I bought from a fellow disabled vet, and a handful of cuttings from an unknown fig tree a neighbor was throwing away. All are growing, so I am happy. I have ordered a few fig cuttings from some growers and look forward to getting them. I am not used to asking for help from anyone for anything, but if any here have a few extra cuttings (common or uncommon varieties), I would not say no; just pm me. Do not feel angry if it takes me a couple days to respond, it is an issue with my depression. I look forward to learning from all and I am sure I will be asking a lot of beginner's questions. Thanks.
    Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
    Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Welcome! Thank you for your service.

I'm a newbie at figs, too,so no cutting available this year. Lots of knowledgable folks here. Looking forward to getting to know you.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Wecome Edward!
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Hello Edward,

Welcome to our figs forum community.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Hello Edward, Welcome to the forum.
          PPP
          Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

hello and welcome.
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Welcome!
              Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

Hello Edward and welcome.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Welcome
                  Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                    SE PA
                    Zone 6

Comment

Welcome! If you got cuttings rooted and growing you're way ahead of the game. Watch the forum because people often have cuttings that they sell very inexpensively. Try here http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...s-17-varieties
                      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Welcome!!!! Lots of nice people here.
                        Quy
                        SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Welcome Edward, we all have issues. We're addicts! Hang around and you'll get addicted too if your not already but it sounds like you have already been exposed and are probably infected. I hate to brag on us but You chose a friendly forum.
                          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Welcome to the world of figs.
                            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Welcome Edward! Bem-Vindo!
                              Gardening/fig culturing is very relaxing and therapeutic. I hope those activities will help you.
                              This forum is an excellent source of information!
                              Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome. I look forward to a lot of educational growth. Now I need to go buy more pots!!!!!
                                Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
                                Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

Edward,

Finding pots should not be a difficult task in Central Florida.

Here is a link to some links to help you get going on the forum.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...erenced-topics

Here is a link to some links of places you can buy fig trees, some of the places are close to you.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...g-distributors

Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

edward welcome to our forum. You will find many friends here and look forward to reading every day something new to help you grow figs. I buy pots at big lots and ole time pottery. Go at the beginning of the season and at the end close out time for good deals. If you want nursery pots check out lowes as they have recycle bin get for free. Yes also always check their closeout mark down plant section for good deals. 5 dollar fig trees sometimes. You will find brown turkey magnolia and ischia there no fancys. also read all the rooting cutting articles and prepare for those mysterious packages that arrive from our friends here. So much fun nuturing those little sticks. You will find working with your plants will have a healing effect and for those days you are unable to go out you will have a wonderful time reading and studying. Last but not least if you are a vetern please take advantage of their programs and care. It will make a world of difference as they are making great strides in mental health care.

Comment

Welcome to the family, Edward.

Comment

Welcome
                                        Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Working...
                                        X