X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is just heart breaking

Here's a picture of all the figs I am not going to be able to eat this year I just pulled all these off today getting the trees ready to be put away for winter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	47244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	47245
    Wish List -

I'm right there with you. Of course i only pulled off about a quarter of what you did but it still did not make me feel great doing it.

Does anyone know of any recipes for unripened figs?
    Last edited by fitzski; 11-06-2015, 09:30 PM.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Here's one idea for un-ripe figs:

http://www.treesofjoy.com/content/wh...ripe-figs-fall
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

That's a whole photos worth more than I get tis year.....

I only eat one....
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Some of them look so close too.

Greenhouse?
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Dave I am right there with you also. My biggest culprit was my Peters Honey. Tree is loaded they are just out of time. Even tried to "tent " them, no luck.
            Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Wow, that is an incredible amount of figs to miss out on. Hopefully you can swing some preserves out of them and use them to get you through the winter.
              Wish List : Cold Hardy/Prolific bearers - Letizia , Florea, G. Paradiso, Lattarula, any Sals varieties, Negronne, Navid's Unk. Dark Greek, Bass' Fav.

Comment

Last night I removed all the remaining figs on my trees too and put them all in. Most of the remaining leaves came off readily with the tap of a finger to the leaf stems as well. I didn't really miss out on too many figs though, I think I started removing the tiny figs at the perfect time this summer. I wish I would have documented the date though
                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Originally posted by COGardener View Post
                  Some of them look so close too.

Greenhouse?
                  The problem was we got a very early frost temps went down to the 30's for a couple of days then shot back up to the 70's now we are into the mid 60's if we didn't get that early frost more would of ripened
                  Wish List -

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                    Dave I am right there with you also. My biggest culprit was my Peters Honey. Tree is loaded they are just out of time. Even tried to "tent " them, no luck.
                    allot of these were young trees I didn't expect to get any figs at all they started off in the Spring at 12" and shot up to 6 to 7 feet hopefully next year these will be great producers to name a few Italian 258, Col De Dame Blanc, Black Greek, NJ Red
                    Wish List -

Comment

It will always be this way. They can't all ripen It only hurts the first few years. We had similar weather but things like Hardy Chicago are still ripening good figs. Long d'Aout ripened a few good one, Bryant Dark did as well. The problem with most is that they mold before they ripen.
                      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Dave
                        Dave commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your right Bob they'll never all ripen, I'm used to it
                    Working...
                    X