X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNR with the bottom buds removed for chip grafting

I can't remember the thread or who had asked but I have been doing this lately with the rare cuttings. I take a few buds off the bottom and graft them over and root the rest. This little BNR was ready to up pot so I figured I would grab a few pics.

There were only 2 buds below the soil line and I removed them but you can clearly see that they still put out roots just fine. This is a GREAT insurance plan for those hard to acquire varieties.
    Attached Files
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Did the grafts work too?
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Zaffiro, Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s too early to tell bc I grafted them to unrooted cuttings. 2 of them look good so far though. :-)

Nice!

Does this ever cause rot up the center of the cuttting for you?
    Fig Plants Available Now, Free Shipping: https://tinkerbugfigs.com/product-category/figplants/
    Zone 7A - Moorestown NJ

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      It hasn’t so far but I’ve only done this with 10 or so cuttings. I am very careful to remove as little as possible. As you can see with the bud that I removed above the soil line, I wrap those to protect them.
      I’m just making this up as I go but it seems to be working. :-)

• cepeders
      cepeders commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. I have thought about doing the same thing. My chip budding still needs work. I am growing a lot of root stock this year so hopefully have more success than with unrooted cuttings.

Cleft grafts have been working well on unrooted cuttings for me, but uses more wood obviously

Evdurtschi This is awesome.
    Do you replace a bud on the common stock with this rare type with this method? (Bud for Bud or bud to middle of branch?)
    What kind of system do recommend to keep track of what is where?
    Simon - Far Northern California - Zone 9b

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      I place the bud between nodes. It’s smoother and easier to work with for me.
      I label the cup with what I’ve done. For example, BNR on HS

• angelad
      angelad commented
      Editing a comment
      Evdurtschi Thanks for the information. I didn't realize you could do that. For some reason, I was under the impression that you replace the old bud with the new one that you want to graft.

Wow I just looked up what a BNR fig is, really gorgeous fig!
    Simon - Far Northern California - Zone 9b

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s why I want to have an insurance plan. 😝

I haven't figured out what a BNR is...bordisotte negra rimada? or am I making that up...
    The best way to make a small fortune in the fig business is to start with a large one.
    Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s correct

• figs and tropicals
      figs and tropicals commented
      Editing a comment
      I've come a long way, baby....I now have some of those...and bud grafted some more...ha, ha....

Evdurtschi eric, what media are you rooting that cutting in...looks like the stuff Gina was talking about...that absorbing stuff that you get from the auto store...the name escapes me right now.
    The best way to make a small fortune in the fig business is to start with a large one.
    Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s right. I’m using DE on all cuttings that are rare. It works very well

This is a great tip for us all, thanks Eric, I will try this on a few of my cuttings! BNR is one of the coolest looking figs too, congrats!

Comment

I asked the original question so thanks a lot for the answer with the visual!
      i have killed a lot of free cuttings from my original trees that are pretty big and gave a lot of practice wood. Although I got a little better with practice, I thought maybe I could hedge my bets with both methods and one stick since I did buy some. I did not buy any really expensive Scion this year but I did buy some. I have started the same bus plant after I asked the question. I really am enjoying grafting. I find that I feel like I have a little more control over the success. Thanks again
      Soccer playing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, dark fig eating woman
      married to my best friend, the same uber tolerant man, for 29 years
      Zone 7a

Comment

Nice!

Since you discussed this on the other thread I ve tried it with couple of cuttings too.
        United Kingdom, Zone 9a, maritime climate
        Wishlist: every early, cool summer and rain tolerant variety

Comment

Optisorb is the granular DE media product name.
          Johnson1
          Zone 9b
          S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Good job streching out that plant material. In retrospect, I feel like I could have done much more with the cuttings I had this winter. If we all figure out how to squeeze more out of the available cuttings, it should mean more plants for all!!!
            Wish list. White Baca, Rigato de Salento PB, Iranian Candy, Nerucciolo D’Elba, Saint Martin

Comment

I've started to do the same.

my first attempts were with buds from the top as in the photo but I've since been taking buds from the bottom.
              Attached Files

Comment

Just wanted to jump on this older thread and say thank you for mentioning this. I had a few very fancy cuttings that were stalled. Inspired by this post I removed the below soil buds and grafted them, then put some rooting hormone on the budless node The previously stalled cuttings have rooted and are currently kicking butt. I'll probably use this method with fancy cuttings going forward
                Zone 7A
                Wishlist: Smith, CLBC, UC 187-25, Yellow Long Neck, CC

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                  Evdurtschi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great news! and congrats

Evdurtschi thsi is great info. I grafted a CdDB on an unrooted BT this year and have pleny of roots and the bud seems to have taken, but still too soon to tell.

Comment

Hello everyone. Someone recently asked about doing this so I thought that with many of you getting your cuttings last week or this week, I thought I would revive this as it worked quite well for me and a few others last year.
                  Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

Thanks for reporting your good results. I was thinking of doing the bud removals but was very worried it would damage the cutting enough to inhibit rooting. It appears such is not the case. Very helpful. Thanks again.
                    Northern CA 9b W L- Ponte Tresa, White Madeira#1, Lampiera Prusch, Thermolito, Calabacita, Prat st. U. Rigato del Salento Pb

Comment

Eric, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I thought it would be good to include the information here too. So when you chip graft onto a cutting do you remove some of the existing buds on that that cutting at the same time? Or do you wait a while and remove them later if they green up instead of the graft bud greening up? Any other information to share that is specific to chip bud grafting to cuttings?
                      Steve
                      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                      WL: Zaffiro, Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                        Evdurtschi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't remove the buds yet. I remove them as they start to emerge to try and force all energy into the chip bud. I guess you could do it at first but I never have.

It is pretty new to me. I actually first learned about it after watching one of Ben's videos. I would still say it is experimental because so little has been posted but the results were strong enough for me that I am doing it again this year.

EvdurtschiThe grafts still need to be protected from even light frosts, correct?

I have backup cuttings taken in Nov - Jan that I'm planning to graft (or graft parts of, and then root the rest). I was planning on waiting until my in ground trees are past risk of frosts. That will probably be late Feb., which means another month of storage of the scion wood.

Or I could take cuttings from the in ground trees (any size from 1" in diameter down to matching the diameter of the scion), and graft/root the pairs right now in DE with the rest of my cuttings.

Any guess which route would be more successful?

Thanks for bumping this thread!
                      Zone 10a San Diego | Wishlist: My cutting zoo to turn into a fig forest! And Thermalito.

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                        Evdurtschi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Young grafts and buds are highly susceptible to even light frost so I would definitely wait.

I would also store the cuttings well and graft to a well rooted tree vs a cutting
                    Working...
                    X