X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT kind of ......Upicktopia.com

This is not really a plug for his business as there may only be 3 or 4 members here that are even remotely close enough to be able to stop at his farm, I just thought the set up was very cool. The web site is Upicktopia.com it is a new website and facebook page started by forum member Dan. He is a commercial blueberry farmer friend of mine who is venturing out in to U-pick. One of the U-pick items he hopes to have up and running is figs so it makes it almost on topic. I had not been out to Dan's in a couple months or so and I was amazed when I pulled in as NONE of what is in the pictures below was there on my last visit.

This had to have been a LOT of work to set up.

Tomatoes hanging down
    Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_5737.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	47603

Cucumbers

Name:	!cid_5742.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	47600

Eggplant also had peppers this way as well and is getting ready to put in hydroponic lettuce.

Name:	!cid_5738.jpg
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	47604

Here there was lettuce growing in soilless medium as well as spinach, radishes and I forget what all else.

Name:	!cid_5739.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	47605

Acre of Strawberries. They were dang good, he just had the first groups out picking this weekend. Probably odd for you northern folks but this is our strawberry season through March or so.

Name:	!cid_5740.jpg
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	47601
    Attached Files
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

I have a friend in OR who did the same thing. Even the strawberries were in PVC pipes.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Pretty cool! Is there a particular advantage to growing upside down like that? Less likely to break in a storm, less disease?
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• cis4elk
        cis4elk commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to guess better air circulation=less fungus

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        And no worry about nematodes. There are probably other advantages as well. I know with the cucumbers he said since they hang down there is no white spot on the bottom they are just even green colored. For U-Pick it is more attractive to the customers as there is no bending to pick.
    Working...
    X