X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Fig Tree Terrorizes the New York City Sewer System!!!

I was just scrubbing and soaking some cuttings I got in the mail today, which included a thin 1.5" short tip cutting. I dumped out the water in my laundry slop sink and forgot about the little cutting, which evaded my every attempt to catch it before it swirled down the drain with the rest of the water. With fig cuttings being as resilient as they are, and being in the warm and highly fertile environment of my septic system, I wonder what the chances are that some day this fig tree will sprout out of my backyard -- having survived the trip through my septic tank and out into the drain field?
    Wouldn't that be something?!?!
    I'm going to pull off the trap of the sink drain tomorrow and see if it happened to get lodged in there.
    Just after it happened, my first thought was that this will be just the urban legends of those baby pet alligators and caimans that people in New York City supposedly flush down the toilet...that grow into 12' monsters by feeding off the rats and garbage.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Originally posted by Needaclone View Post
    ... I wonder what the chances are that some day this fig tree will sprout out of my backyard -- having survived the trip through my septic tank and out into the drain field?
    100% !!!
    You should start planning the fig party already
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Might get giant sized with all that fertilization, just be careful what else you flush that would be toxic to it
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Well, at least you can get a better cutting when it establishes itself
        Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

Update -- I just pulled the trap from the drain and it was empty -- no fig branch. So, I'll have to keep an eye out for this bad-boy in years to come. Perhaps the next time I get my septic tank pumped I'll have to take a look inside -- maybe I'll find a tree growing on the top of the sludge!!!
          Cheers,
          Jim
          Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Too bad. That must have been a tiny cutting. I'm waiting for the movie.
            NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Just ensure that you keep your sink unplugged. Never know, might just see some green leaves sprouting out of the sink one day.
              Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
              Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Working...
              X