X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sultani cuttings

I have a few cuttings of the variety distributed by Aaron4USA on the F4F forum last year to share with someone, preferably someone in CA wasp territory. It is still up in the air if this requires the fig wasp but it looks like it might. I am going to give mine another year, but I am not sure anyone who is definitely outside of wasp territory has ripened this yet but my plant is young. PM me if interested. The cuttings are a little small, have enough for 2 people.

Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Pm sent

Comment

Ed, is this cultivar the same as Sultane from Rain tree? I would post a link, yet it is gone from their web site currently. If so I have this tree and hope to see fruit this summer.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

No this is a variety supposed to be from Iran, 'found' in a yard in Los Angeles. A few folks from CA have gotten fruit from the cuttings that Aaron4USA sent out, but one of those insists he does not have the fig wasp.
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Thank you for the clarity.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Resurrected an old thread to offer a few cuttings of this variety. This is the fig introduced to fig collectors by Aaron4USA, a former member of the F4F forum. Here is a switch, it is offered for CA residents only, since it clearly seems to require pollination by the fig wasp. My tree has been chopped into cuttings, a few of which are yet unpromised. PM me if interested. Will be shipping soon.

I could not bear to waste the tree and just toss it out, given how well it does for those in fig-wasp country.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Fygmalion
              Fygmalion commented
              Editing a comment
              Ed, that is very thoughtful and generous of you... Kudos!

• eboone
              eboone commented
              Editing a comment
              all have been claimed!

• Fygmalion
              Fygmalion commented
              Editing a comment
              Who would have thought something as big as a tiny fig wasp could separate the lucky west coast members from those of us here in the east....

Are you going to graft onto the stump?

Comment

• eboone
              eboone commented
              Editing a comment
              Scott - that would be a good idea, but I have had limited success the one year I tried grafting some pears and plums, and I have insufficient time to manage everything I have now in my orchard.

• COGardener
              COGardener commented
              Editing a comment
              Understandable, I have time management issues as well.

Scott - no, I have disposed of 4 plants this year, have not saved any of the bases for grafting. I am downsizing a bit (well, down from 109 to 95 with a promise to my wife to have no more than 100 and I have 5 varieties to root). Anyway, I have little experience grafting, having limited success a few years ago trying to graft some pears and plums. Maybe I will try again some day(like after I retire) and I realize this would be a good choice to try grafting to, but there are only so many hours in the day and only so much room to store potted fig plants.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Fygmalion
              Fygmalion commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen to everything you stated

Scott-that would be a good idea but I have had limited success grafting pears and plums the one year I tried that, and I have a lack of time to manage what I have now.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• eboone
              eboone commented
              Editing a comment
              this forum software said my first note did not post, gave me an error message!

I was reading this doc this morning when I woke up and it mentions Sultani as being a common type fig. Thoughts? https://www.researchgate.net/publica...e_and_Breeding

Attached Files
            2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

There is a Sultani from Egypt and one from Tunisia mentioned there. This one is apparently a different variety from Iran. Not green or brown.
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Wanting to experiment with a carica/palmata hybrid other than Alma, I found PINO has Fayumi.A bit of web searching indicates Fayumi is also called SULTANI in middle east and is number 1 common fig in Egypt and popular in Syria too,has been used in Israeli fig research on best fertilizer practices in irrigated desert plantings.So whatever Aaron has is not the Fayumi/Sultani that Pino has and Egyptians grow,as needs zero wasps.
                More interesting though was the fertilizer experiments from Israel and Egypt using mature in ground sultani trees,they applied boron and potassium as sprays several times (3) on trees before figs developed and during early development Fruit so treated had far more sugars,vitamin C, and fruit size than control untreated trees.Nitrogen did little good.I will be applying borax sparingly to soil and using potassium fertilizer on my in ground fig orchard when it gets up and going.Also of interest is the natural soil Ph in both countries test planting was over 8.I will NOT be liming my soil to that extent here!
                Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST ZAFFIRO, THERMOLITO

Comment

Working...
                X