X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone growing Madeleine des deua saisons

I saw it on Rain Trees web site and it caught my eye, just wonder what you all can tell me about it and does anyone knows if the Rain Tree variant is true to form.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/Madel...asons_fig.html

Thank you
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Scott, I have Raintree's and one that I got from R. Watts. They are different. I'm leaning towards Richard's being correct, but won't know for sure until next season.
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

Comment

• EllieE
      EllieE commented
      Editing a comment
      I just bought Raintree's Madeleine des Deua Saisons Fig. I'm curious to know how yours turned out? Do you think it's the real deal?

I do , but the picture on the raintree site is wrong (and the name). It's actually Madeleine des deux saisons (madeleine of the two seasons) Which is an old and classic french fig tree cultivated at Versailles for Louis XIV and very resistant to cold. The tree is medium size, has two crops and the fruits are big, red, very sweet and very juicy. A must have in a collection!

Marc

Picture 1 :main crop
    Picture 2: Breba
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Dracénois; 11-16-2015, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses, it certainly sounds like a variety to pursue. I'll order the Rain Tree version for this spring, Gary if you have cuttings of Richards in the future, perhaps I can buy or trade for some.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

mine was large and very sweet ,, came from france
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Some great pics bigfig. Thank you!

Comment

Scott Mine is from Richard too. I believe his is the real deal however it is heavily infected with fmv. I am going to bud graft this one.

Comment

The FMV doesn't bother me too much, I quarantine all new fig trees and give them a good spray. Several that I got cuttings of last year have and within a couple months the symptoms started to disappear. Don't have a clue why.

Comment

I bought one from Raintree this year. It just arrived a couple of weeks ago and already has baby fruit on it. I'll let you all know how it goes as I see how it does.

Comment

I live in Europe, so my climate is very different from yours but FWIW my Madeleine is a great fig that produces rather big and juicy figs. At first I had it in my green house but it actually does better in cooler conditions so I moved it outside last year.
                  The fig I bought comes from Baud in France and is very healthy. On top of that it is actually a good looking tree, surely a good acquisition to my collection.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Shawnee Prophet
                    Shawnee Prophet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice looking tree you have there.

Raintree definitely has the real deal: directly from France. I spoke to their chief horticulturist a couple of days ago.
                  It is possible that they may have switched tags and sent the wrong fig. They've been known to do that.

Also the photos on their website aren't to be relied on. They are often wrong.

Comment

Typical leaf
                    France . Zone 8A

Comment

Working...
                    X