X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testers needed of 3 cup method, free cuttings

I would like to offer some free cuttings to our group.
    The only request I have in return is postage, about $6
    for flat rate shipping box AND that you try out and
    document your progress here with our group using my 3 cup method.
    http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...rooting-method

This year, instead of me showing the rooting process and how easily it works
    I would like to give 3 cuttings of your choice to 5 people.
    I will pick those 5 people and send out cuttings within the next 2 weeks.

If your interested in following the directions exactly, I would enjoy sharing the cuttings.
    After 5 people have been selected, I will enter that the offer is over. Shoot me a email if interested.

Here is a list of available trees for cuttings.

Violette de Bordeaux -
    Brown Turkey -
    Celeste -
    Lemon -
    Green Ischia -
    Black Mission -
    Hardy Chicago -
    Improved Celeste -
    Cucumber -
    Brooklyn White -
    Black Jack -
    Green Greek -
    Abiqua Petite -
    Golden Celeste -
    Florea
    Hollier -
    Osborne Prolific -
    Gillette WM Wamsley -
    Alma -
    Italian 88 -
    Mead -
    Sal's el
    Red Libya -
    Vista -
    Marseilles Black VS

Have fun all
    Doug
    I can not ship to Canada, California and all the other states with shipping requirements or inspections.
    I can not ship outside of USA.
    Last edited by SCfigFanatic; 11-16-2015, 07:22 PM.

Pm sent thanks
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

That's it folks.
      All accounted for.

Doug

Get extra cups you 5
      3 cuttings aint enough to test.
      :}
      Last edited by SCfigFanatic; 11-16-2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's results. Awesome of you Doug!
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I'm planning on trying this method starting in january. I look forward to seeing other folks results too.
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
            SCfigFanatic commented
            Editing a comment
            Shoot me a email if you would like to share your results.
            I have a bunch.
            Many I have not listed.

Doug

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for the offer but I have cuttings from over 15 new varieties. I plan on trying two or three different propagation methods to see which one suits me best.

I was thinking of trying this with 10 or so cuttings. Is that enough?

Sure
          Try it and I hope every one grows.
          My father tried this 3 cup in ohio last winter.
          He planted 8 out of 10 cuttings into buckets last
          spring and ate 3 varieties from them this last summer.
          Can't beat that for a zone 5

Doug

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds like great results. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think I'm going to give this method a shot as well in about a month or two. The water start method and the newspaper/baggie method both work mediocre at best for me. I've never been impressed with the results. Now I just root in damp moss thats in a clear shoe box. I'll keep you posted on how I make out trying your 3 cup method.

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
            SCfigFanatic commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks sounds good
            Doug

Doug, I wanted to ask a couple questions regarding your insight on this method.
          What do you see as the purpose of the outer bottom cup? Just a drip pan?
          Why black vs red or clear?
          Once you have roots and leaf growth and remove the top cup, do you water from the top or bottom?
          Thanks-I like to try to understand the 'why' so I can better understand when I have successes and failures

I also intend to use this method as a trial this winter.
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• JohnnyK
            JohnnyK commented
            Editing a comment
            If I had to guess I would assume the black cup would keep light off of the roots. Having it be removable would let you check on the growth. I'm not sure though, so don't take my word on it... I haven't tried this method yet, and this winter will be my first attempt.

• SCfigFanatic
            SCfigFanatic commented
            Editing a comment
            The bottom cup not only helps collect drippings but it seals up
            the cup to get the humidity
            high inside the top cup.
            It lets the dirt cup breathe so that oxygen can get into the soil medium. And it prevents over watering
            as you can drain the black cup and keep a air gap between black cup and dirt cup,

The black cup also helps to absorb heat around the roots from a southern exposed window.

I like to add water to the roots with a small hand sprayer, but I spray it through the drain holes in the dirt cup.
            Maintaining the weight of wet soil comes with practice. Let them lighten up before misting water through the holes.
            Hope it helps

Doug

I got some RdB cuttings recently because I wanted to try rooting, but needed to start in Nov. This is my first time trying any method, and I'm using your 3-cup method. I put them in cups on a South windowsill on 11-16-15. The only things I did differently from your posting are: I used 16 oz cups instead of 18 oz(because that's what I had). I also used Dip n Gro instead of Clonex (because that's what I had).

The biggest concern I had was the initial amount of moisture required in the Miracle Grow mix. What I ended up doing was drenching the mix in water, and grabbing fistfuls of it and squeezing hard until the water stopped dripping out. Then, I put these all in a bowl and loosened that up til it was fluffy again before adding it to the cups.

I've got a small, very accurate scale I use for Ebay items, so I actually weighed the cups and wrote down the weights on the domes. So now, I'll have some idea of the weight they should be when (if) they root, and can water accordingly. Seems like 95% of peoples problems come from over watering, so I'll try to be careful. Should they root successfully, I've got a whole other battle ahead trying to keep them alive and in good shape until Spring.

If you don't mind, I can post updates here under your thread. If you'd like to keep it specifically for your purposes, I'll just update in a new post.
          Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Everybody is welcome.
            The cup I used seemed to be the happy medium that the sun can warm the dirt but
            larger cups take longer to get the soil up to temp.
            Sounds like you have your moisture starting out right.
            I have used this method without rooting hormone with good success
            but rooting time was a bit quicker with clonex.
            I have used dip n grow, and a powder rooting compound.
            I just like to brush on the clonex then put directly in dirt cup.
            You will know your dirt moisture is good so long as your top cup condensates
            during the sunny hours.
            Have fun.

Comment

Wish I had gotten in on this.... oh well. I am also doing the 3 cup technique and have about 35 cuttings going on. I did the 3 cup technique last year with fantastic success (I think I got 95% of my cuttings matured to the up potting stage). I then proceeded to kill 95% of those using too much fertilizer...

Oh well... second times a charm.
              Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

smithmal, shoot me a pm with your address if you would like to join in.
                It looks like I will be taking the cuttings before this week end.
                27 degree temps predicted
                and I want to get the cuttings first.

Doug

Comment

To the people getting cuttings.
                  I will be taking the cuttings today and mail them tomorrow.
                  I will send each of you your tracking number tomorrow.

Get ready!

Doug

Comment

I just got in from the orchard. Started at 2:30.
                    All participants will need cups for 10 different varieties.
                    I will be printing shipping labels tonight and ship out tomorrow.

It's fun to share, like others have shared with me.
                    When your tree's grow, please pass it on.

Doug

Comment

Wow, very kind of you. I decided to buy clonex and dip n grow. I'll use clonex like you have for your cuttings so as to follow the directions but I think, since I have some extra cuttings, I'll try some dip n grow also. I also bought the clonex rooting fertilizer compound for newly rooted cuttings that I'm gonna try out. It's a very mild fertilizer which should help a little I believe. Only gonna apply it after successfully rooting the cutting. Now I suppose I'll need to go buy more cups though lol.
                      Bryan | Zone 7 NC

Wish List: Takoma Violet, Kathleen Black, BM, Preto, CdD Grise and Noir, Ventura, Maltese Falcon and Maltese Beauty.

Comment

I used dip n grow for 2 years before I tried clonex.
                        Both worked for me, one just seemed to work a bit better.

Doug

Comment

Doug,

Other than using a soldering iron, how would you recommend putting holes in your cups?

-Ross
                          Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                          Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

Not sure. The soldering iron stinks but makes a perfect hole.
                            A drill may do it.

Don't drill your hand.

Doug

A candle, a big nail held with vice grips?
                            Heat it up melt through 3 cups stacked at a time?

Comment

Cuttings arrived just now, thank you again. Hoping to get a start either when I get off work at night this week or hopefully I'll have 3-4 days for Turkey day and can get some stuff started. Thanks again!
                              Bryan | Zone 7 NC

Wish List: Takoma Violet, Kathleen Black, BM, Preto, CdD Grise and Noir, Ventura, Maltese Falcon and Maltese Beauty.

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
                                SCfigFanatic commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Your very welcome.

Doug

wow great stuff Doug! just got my package today, very exciting pack of cuttings
                              Chris NE Philadelphia

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
                                SCfigFanatic commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Glad you liked, everybody got what they requested plus a few extras.
                                Doug

• cdeguida4
                                cdeguida4 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                thank you

No problem
                              Your welcome

Doug

Comment

The cuttings are from trees who had just went dormant. The sooner you can get them in their cups the better.
                                Hope you all enjoy.

I wanted to add that I sent out all tip cuttings, those are my personal favorite.
                                If you do not like tip cuttings, just cut off the top half inch and seal.
                                I measure 6 inches from the tip to the next node and cut off at 1/4" to 1/2" max below the last node.
                                When I plant I have my cutting bottom about 1 inch off the bottom of the dirt cup.
                                Hope it helps
                                Doug
                                Last edited by SCfigFanatic; 11-23-2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

For me, it's been one week into the 3 cup method. I am bound and determined not to baby these sticks. Other than looking to make sure there is still condensation on the dome cup, I haven't touched them or sang them any lullabies at night.
                                  Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Lol, I hear ya
                                    There will maintain a small dribble of water in the black cup.
                                    If there is more than a half teaspoon drain it and let it equalize. As it condensates through the day
                                    it gets humidified through the dirt..
                                    Doug

Comment

One tip...when using the soldering iron to put holes in the sides of the cup, do them one at a time if there isn't a gap between the cups.

I tried doing three at a time and the cups fused together. I had to use a filet knife down between the sides of each cup to cut them apart. Didn't realize until I did them all and was ready to pull them apart. Lol
                                      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
                                        SCfigFanatic commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        You have to be quick with a 60 watt iron.....
                                        1 at a time gets the job done. I was doing 200
                                        cups in a evening. 1 hole top cup and a bunch below.
                                        Any way it works for you.

Doug
                                    Working...
                                    X