X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Layering while dormant?

Ciao Family,

Has anyone ever try to put an air layering bottle or plastic on a dormant tree? Is it possible? Will the moist media rot that part of the limb?
    While some my trees are under ground and wrapped up I still have about 50 5 gal pot trees in farm garage that temps are kept just above freezing. The potted plants I give one 12 oz bottle water per month. I know while they sleep the no make leaf or fruits but what about root growth? Even at a very slow root growth rate by time spring is around should show something no?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Mike,

I know someone once mentioned that they leave airlayers on over the winter while the figs are garaged. In my experience though if the plant is not actively growing leaves the rooting is very very slow. If the plant is growing fast they root fast. I don'y think it is worth the risk BUT I have no experience with winter fig storage so my information is limited.
    Cutting sales at willsfigs.com will continue till about March 1.

Comment

I understand what you mean about slow growth during winter which is why I am afraid they limb would rott before make root. And the ones I was think to try on are no worth risk. Maybe I just take cutting from them instead.

Comment

I'm curious about this too. I just set a few layers on plants are still growing robustly, but it's growing colder here finally, and not sure if they will take before the trees go dormant. If they're partly rooted but not enough to pull, does it work just to leave the layers on over the winter and resume the process through entry into spring?
        Sarahkt
        Last edited by Sarahkt; 11-17-2015, 01:22 PM. Reason: typos
        Sarah
        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Sarah my opinion is to cut them off and bring inside. I use coir and southern window. Also in the beginning use a cup or bag over plant until roots take off and some growth in top. Good luck

Comment

If it's just a couple layers on two smallish pots, I thought about just bringing both pots with layers intact and overwintering them in the warm house. Much as my fiance would love the addition to the decor.
            Sarah

Comment

As wills said, I don't have winter fig storage experience but I do plenty of air layers and I noticed that if its not actively growing like when there is just a green bud tip at the end of the branch being layered I never get roots but as soon as the bud opens and starts growing again the roots appear right after . The air layer can set months with out showing roots but as soon as the leaf pops out the end then the roots appear right after. Now I don't know if it's just coincidence or not but if not I would think air layering while dormant would be harder.
              Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

I also agree. Plus now think about it rooting cuttings in winter much faster and easy

Comment

I can see why layering an already dormant tree and expecting it put out roots while dormant would be a no-go (or a slow-go). If you're going to do it in the spring, could be easier to do while dormant and dampen the mix later on while there are no leaves or figs to pull off, and expect them to get started when they wake up in spring.

My question is if it's already started rooting in these last few weeks of relatively warm weather, but not to the point that it's safe to detach, if anyone has good experience "pausing" or continuing the layer indoors still attached to the tree. I don't know if keeping the pots warm indoors would help protect the layer (possibly stagnant over the winter, or not), so the tree could either stay awake indoors or at least, maintain the rooting layer during dormancy and resume rooting in the spring. It'd be an possible tactic to get a head start on layers that you're only belatedly considering now... It's only two small pots, so it wouldn't be too much of an eyesore to keep inside.
                  Sarah

Comment

I did bottle air layering on some potted, dormant trees last winter. They really didn't start rooting until the plant started groing in the spring, but I mainly did it in the winter so that I wouldn't damage any active growth (leaves and buds). I didn't scuff or score any of the bark either, and they were all full of roots by summer.
                  Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

• cjmach1973
                    cjmach1973
                    Veteran
                    cjmach1973 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They were in an un-heated cellar, and I didn,t have any problems with rot or mold, but I didn't keep them very damp either.

The only a/l that actually worked for me was one I left on over the winter. Roots showed up as soon as the tree started growing in the Spring.
                  Bob C.
                  Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Grazie.. Sì I think mostly air layer is best to start in spring as soon as tree wake up. Summer air layers only take about a month. Cuttings I feel is going to be best for over winter gardening.

Comment

Working...
                    X