X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molasses mix

I recently bought two very nice plants from WillsC. When I went to water them, the containers were defective with big holes in the bottom...at least I thought so. I now have a whole new appreciation for what "quick draining mix" means! I have never poured water in a container and had the water come out so quickly. Water pours through my non-screened 1/2 pine, 1/2 peat mix like molasses in comparison. I guess I'll have to learn how to properly screen before spring when I put these guys into bigger pots.
    Houston, TX Zone 9a

I too received two beautiful plants from Wills about a month ago, and yes they do drain quite nicely.. I see the roots coming out of the bottom drain holes and they are very healthy looking (white & very plump). Wills what is your soil mixture comprised of? It looks like I will have to up-pot both the Brogiotto Nero & Bronze Paradiso sooner rather then later with all the healthy growth they are putting on.. I'd like to replicate your mixture to keep these babies happy
    Visceral I know watcha mean, I have a couple of my first trees in a soil mixture just like you are describing.. Can hardly wait to get them outta that water retentive mixture & into something light & airy next spring!
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      In answer to your question, the cuttings should be grown in a well aerated mix until they are at least 1 gallon well rooted trees. In my case I up pot cuttings into 1 gallon pots with cutting mix (well aerated fast draining) then to 5 gallon containers (SIPs) with a more water retentive mix, I was using the more aerated 5-1-1-1 mix, but have revised my procedures. I had been up potting into the more aerated 5-1-1-1 mix, but they dry out faster which actually slows their growth, due to too many wet dry cycles. With healthy cuttings planting in smaller containers only serves to restrict the growth of the young plants.

BTW if the new plants are close to going dormant planting in a large container of wet mix may be a problem during dormancy. Good Luck.

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply Pete.. I forgot to mention that I was keeping these two plants indoors this winter in a south facing window. I received them only a month ago so was afraid to expose them to the arctic tundra of PA this winter lol, especially since they just came from lovely Florida.. I may just put them in my basement (about 50 degrees) under shop lights for about 8hrs a day to hopefully induce semi-dormancy.. in which case I'd probably still be better off leaving them in their current pots until spring right? I think I just want to find reasons to keep on figging through the winter! Lol

• Visceral
      Visceral commented
      Editing a comment
      Jamie,
      I'm in the north part of Houston, and I'm thinking about keeping mine outside in their current pots until Spring. If a cold snap hits, it usually only last a few days here, so I can bring them in my garage for a few days. Have you tried rooting any cuttings yet? I think that's a good way to keep on keeping on during the winter.

Wills soil is one of a kind.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

With soil that drains that fast, how do you keep them moist in the heat of summer?
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        IMO, The 'cutting mix' should always be well aerated and fast draining. The growing mix which is used for fruiting fig trees is the the mix that can and should be made more water retentive.

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes sense in light of Don's last post, especially during those dog days of summer.. So Pete when I repot into a 2-3 gallon pot (probably within the next few days) do you think I should use a mix that is more retentive this time or save that for when I move up to a 5 to 10 gallon size in the spring?

Originally posted by don_sanders View Post
      With soil that drains that fast, how do you keep them moist in the heat of summer?

They are on an automated system so in the heat of summer they can be watered even twice a day. Wet water retentive soil does not work well for me.

Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie0507 View Post
        Wills what is your soil mixture comprised of?
        Hershell let me know you had asked, I had missed it. The soil is junglegrowth mixed with some big perlite but not much. Hershell got me started on it and I like it but you still have to be careful with the water.
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Working...
        X