X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about fig plants in deep dormancy

Newbie Question for all you experts. I just received four small fig plants from one of out generous members (Thanks again Greg). These plants are in deep dormancy from way up north. I live in Florida and out temp today is 81 with the rain. My question is how should I handle these small plants? If I take them outside, will that affect their dormancy cycle and make them start growing new growth prematurely? We don't get cold weather (low 60's) until late Feb/early March. Should I keep them inside? What do you think? I don't want to damage the plants.
    Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
    Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Edward,

Although the trees are dormant they are not actually in deep dormancy since we have not experienced winter (cold weather) as yet. Your question may be better answered by more experienced growers in warmer zones who have had a similar experience. Good Luck.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Not from experience but my thought would be that they would break dormancy inside anyway so you might as well grow them outside while you can.

Figs are only supposed to be need a couple weeks of dormancy at most so you could even keep it awake through this next year if it only gets to the low 60s where you are at.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Thanks Pete and Don. I did set them outside a couple hours ago so they could enjoy a nice drink in the rain. Still need to figure where I want to put them.
        Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
        Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

When would be the best time to take cuttings, off the just-dormant plants who have finished shedding leaves, or later on in deep dormancy? This is the first year I actually have varieties with enough wood to trade with friends here, and wondering what stage is preferable for rooting cuttings.
          Sarah
          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            The best time to take cuttings after dormancy is when they're needed. If there are no actual reasons to remove the cuttings from the trees, like impending freezing weather or extreme heat that may break dormancy its probably best to leave them there where they'll remain fresh on the tree.

• Sarahkt
            Sarahkt commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Pete. My plan is not to store them in the fridge against a future ship date, but to ship as soon as the trees are judged to be optimally dormant. Would that be as soon as the last leaf falls, or later, when it's colder?

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, anytime after leaf fall is OK.
        Working...
        X