X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Weather

Just a reminder if you have been working and looking forward to all the good food and leftovers. The temps are going to drop into the 20's this weekend. If you are behind on getting your trees covered or brought inside you might want to kick it into gear. I know it's been really warm so far so a sudden drop to the 20's would be really bad.

I wish figs was like zombies and could only be killed by cutting off their roots. Then we could grow all kinds of varieties that require tropical weather. One can only dream.. Lol
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Your just now dropping into the 20's!!!! I've already had 5" of snow at home and it was 1* out today with 60MPH winds where I'm currently at.

My trees have be put away for nearly 2 months....

Time to catch up Erick!!!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• jmaler
      jmaler commented
      Editing a comment
      That is just toooo cold. I would move, no doubt about it.

• Erick
      Erick commented
      Editing a comment
      Well Scott we have snow flying here today. So now we have to get everything ready in case the power goes off. That's the bad thing about living as far into the the backwoods as we do is the power goes out alot..

Weather is still in the 70's here. Enjoying a third crop! Though we are expecting the worst El Nino in a long time to start in January/February. As bad as it will be, it will be great to have the rain.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• jmaler
      jmaler commented
      Editing a comment
      You are where I want to live, if only you had water. However, I feel water shortages are here to stay and will someday be my problem where I live.

It'll be dropping into the 20s in PA this weekend too. We have only had a few days right around freezing so far, my couple in ground figs are just starting to change leaf color....
    Travis
    Pittsburgh, pa

Comment

It's supposed to top out at a brisk 75 around here tomorrow. I don't know if I still own a jacket or not.
      Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Hey Scott I know I should be thankful because we have had some really nice weather lately. Then Sarah has gotta talk about that third crop like that's something that just happens. Must be nice to get a sun tan before Christmas. Lol
        Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          The FL and SoCal peeps really like to rub it in!

I really need to move!!!!!
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

It's my first third crop. Weird but welcome. I didn't know what was happening at first: "What witchcraft is this!?" But, then I learned to enjoy it as a silver lining that is the drought situation here.

Also, I'd always thought Redwood City was zone 8b, but the last time I shopped for a plum tree online, the nursery site informed me that I'm in fact in 9b/10a. Don't know if it was just a difference in websites, or if this area has suddenly been upgraded a zone.

Don't worry, Scott, come January/Feb when we are laying down bags of sand here because there's so much rain, you'll be glad of your 6266 feet of elevation.
          Sarah
          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Some maps has me been in zone 7a and then others has it as 6b. I'm close to the line anyway so it's just the difference in websites.
            Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Where in Kentucky?

Comment

Pikeville it's as far east as you can go without been in Virginia.
                Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Ok, cool!

Comment

Here in Washington State we got hit by a bad storm knocking power out across the city. The temperature dropped really fast. I brought the rest of my trees inside tonight. The soil was frozen so I'm hoping the roots survived at least.
                    Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                    Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

Our first below freezing temps tonight. Have had a couple good frosts in the mid 30's
                      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

The wife and I are skipping Thanksgiving this year and are heading down to North Carolina with the kids to check out a few small farms for sale. I'm ready to leave zone 6a, and get some figs planted in zone 8a.

Comment

25F here in Ohio right now.
                          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

It's going to be in the 20's tonight in NC! How crazy is that.
                            NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Working...
                            X