X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting question

I have several cuttings with half inch roots. (Thanks silveradocanman!) They have been growing in green moss, but now it is time to pot them up. Can I plant them directly into a light potting mix, cow manure, perlite blend or will the roots rot? I started my previous cuttings in straight perlite, and added soil when the roots were bigger. Thanks in advance.

Casey

Sounds like you are up to step 3 in Pete's post ready to put up unto well aerated fast draining mix.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ow-s-and-why-s
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Oops! I looked at this post several times, and somehow I missed that part. Thanks.

Comment

Casey,
        Any mix that you use initially to pot up the cuttings should be clean and free from soil microbes to increase your survival rates. Once the roots are hardened and the bottom of the cutting is fully callused they can then be introduced to the "real world".

Whatever mix is used the cuttings should never be "watered in", it should be pre-watered to a moist, crumbly, well aerated state and used to pot the cuttings. Also if you measure the actual amount of water used to get your mix to the "pre-watered" stage then the same amount can be used to water the containers to avoid over watering in the early stages of growth (which is where most cuttings die from overwatering). For my containers with 5 cups of mix the measured amount was 6 - 8 oz of water. Good Luck.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Those guys root fast eh?! I have tons of them started already (not too much before I sent yours), I think these are good cuttings to experiment with.

Good luck!

Comment

I love how they are growing! They have roots and leaf buds at the same time. I will be posting pictures tonight.

Comment

The computer would not accept the size of picture I was trying to send.

Comment

Working...
              X