X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering cuttings from UC Davis

Newbie question: Several weeks ago I was looking thru the UC Davis website and clicked on several figs for cuttings. I received an email showing the figs I was requesting but that is all I have heard from them. Anyone here have experience with UC Davis and their depository? What happens now? Do I just keep checking my email or is there a predetermined date they ship cuttings? How do I know they are even going to accept my request? Any comments to calm my already shaky nerves??
    Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
    Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... you're SOL (Stunningly Out of Luck). USDA-ARS-NCGR-Davis opened up cutting availability to "everyone". That lasted for a few years - 2015 was the last year non-researchers received cuttings. You will at some point receive an email cancelling your order. CRFG and NAFEX have been offered the chance to handle cutting distribution, but nothing has been set-up yet. That means no hobbyist orders will be received for 2016. With luck, things will be ready to go for 2017.

Where are you located?
    Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Yeah, smatthew hit the nail on the head, I believe. What did you order? Maybe we can collectively help?
      Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

I live in Central Florida. Among those I requested was the Black Madeira, Black & White Ischia, Giant Amber and a long list of others. Oh well. Maybe I'll try again in 2017, if I have any room left in the yard.

Comment

Many people have those, some might share, others would sell them at a fair price.

WillsC is close to you and probably has most if not all of them for sale.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have already benefited greatly from the generosity of our members. I wait for the day I am able to return the favor.

Comment

Look at joining North American Fruit Explorers - hopefully they'll be offering scion ordering next year. www.nafex.org
              Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Comment

Checking out nafex now... thanks for the suggestion smatthew.

Comment

Working...
                  X