X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Greek find

Most of my friends now know that I'm into growing figs, and figs come up as a topic of conversation since they take up a significant portion of my free time. It turns out that one of my more well-connected friends knows someone growing a fig tree. I thought at first that it was probably one of the common Celeste or Brown Turkeys that seemingly everyone has, but I ask about it just in case. The first time around, my friend doesn't know much about it so he says he'll ask. After many weeks of having forgotten about it, my friend relays more information on the tree. I find out that the tree is being grown by a Greek family and that they brought the cuttings with them from their home town in Chios.

With that information, my interest is piqued, and I ask if I can get cuttings. Last week, I head over to take some cuttings from the tree with my friend. Unfortunately, the owners weren't around when we took cuttings (though they knew we were coming, so no exciting stealthy ninja cutting retrieval in this story). Currently, the only things I know about the fig is that it is dark fig from Chios which grows on the edge of a local suburban yard and receives no protection other than the wind block from being between two houses and having other shrubs planted around it. The fig was growing as a multi stemmed 5-6 foot wide bush, with the tallest stem at about 8 feet high. I'm assuming the tree was top killed the past two winters since they don't protect the tree. Supposedly, the tree is fairly productive. There were still some hard shriveled (probably frosted) figs still hanging on the tree.

I'm still trying to find out some more information on the fig. It's kind of a slow relay of information since my only communication is sending questions through my friend to ask whenever he gets together with the fig owners. At any rate, growing this new (to me) unknown is now one of my winter projects.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Congrats and Good luck.
    Please keep us updated on your progress. Thanks.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Cool. Hope it is a good one.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Always exciting to make a new discovery, I hope it turns out to be an undiscovered gem for you.

Comment

Working...
        X