X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting My Potted Figs To Bed For Winter

Yesterday I put my potted figs to bed for winter. I decided to try covering them with wood chips and mulch gringings produced from clearing cedar on my property this past summer. The hardest part of this endeavor will be digging them out next spring.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Thanks for sharing the photos. Good luck.
    It looks like you're doing much more to protect your potted trees than I am in zone 6.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

You don't put no wood panel down or on top to protect from mold or rot or animal?
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• jmaler
        jmaler commented
        Editing a comment
        Mike, I may have messed up by not doing what you mentioned. Next spring all my fig plants may be compost. We'll see.

If you do tis way before and work good then belle! But is to me like put insulation against bare tree. If you get rain or snow or moisture against tree normally is risk. Again if Siri for you before leave it. If you never do tis way and you are unsure fix before get too cold to do to save you trees. Just in my experience Amico. I known is a lot of work but so is caring for you trees all tis time to lose.

Comment

I have not done this way before. So the thinking is that I should place pots on the ground and cover with wood then the wood chips and mulch?

Is it ok to fill the spaces between the pots and around the trees with wood chipe or no and then place wood over trees? What about a 2 inch sheet of 4 foot by 8 foot styrafoam or a sheet of tin instead of plywood?

I can redo this if y'all think it's needed. It not that much work to remove the mulch with the tractor. No freeze here in the ten day forecast so I can redo before next cold spell.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I have see people to dig trench in soil and just burry with no protection but almost all I see are bigger stronger tree. You in Texas ? How cold it get there?

If you were advised to cover well and make sleep then do so but trees really no need heavy protection unless temps drop below freezing and stay at freeze temps. I bury some in ground some I wrap vertical and most I have in garage where will no freeze. But here gets down in -40 degrees Fahrenheit and below 0 for months and always below freezing most of winter. So mine need heavy protection.

If you gonna burry I tell you. Dig up. Place non absorbent bottom down. Then lay trees down. Then another non absorbing layer. No fill between pots. Just make potted Fig tree sandwich. If you no use any protection and mulch get wet or humidity it will rot trunks of trees. Think of it like root rot. Add little weight to top and then cover with mulching. I as well put tarp over to keep rain or snow melt off them.

But again how Cold it get by you? I look on us weather history and shown for canyon lake tx average lows nearly hit 40/45F. But I believe tis was only few times? Even in 40's really don't need extreme winterization.
          Last edited by Taverna78; 11-24-2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Not very cold here. I don't want roots to freeze for trees in 1 gal pots and I don't want to haul in and out of doors all winter. I don't have the back fo it so I decided to just bury the pots until spring.

I have heavy frost cloth I could double to cover the pots if I decide to leave pots unburied. If I go this route I could uncover when temps are above freezing. The only problem with frost cloth is when temps are below 32° for a day or two which is rare for my area but possible. Extended freezing temps will eventually freeze the roots in 1 gal pots, a situation I am trying to avoid. I don't want to haul pots in and out of doors every time a freeze is predicted.
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I bring all my pitted trees from 1-10 gal a month ago here in Chicago. It will no hurt them to bring them in when frost comes and to leave them in even if you get Warmer days here and there. I would rather see them(no likely) push out a fresh bud on a an uncommon warm day than have them rot under ground. My zone much worst than yous but in any case is smarter to keep out of ground in you zone.

Think tis... You burry ok.... Now is cold few days then you get warm rain weather... That water (unless you bury very deep) saturate mulch,leaf ect... Surround your tree with moisture. 2 problem. First now is wet and if you no put below freeze line you just make Fig tree Popsicle. Dead. And 2) you WILL have rain before is warm enough to un cover. Now wet mulch ect will surround trees and make rot. Tis just in my experience. think tis. When people bring tree in and out I see no point. Chose time to bring in and that's all. They will not sprout new leaf and Figs for a couple extra day of sun. They will sleep. Cool dark place and rarely water them. I give a 5gal pot one bottle water per month. If tis your collection entirely under ground I wish I live closer because I will come over and help you take out of ground and bring inside.

Comment

Working...
              X