X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Packing Cuttings Observation

I noticed that a good number of my cuttings which I vacuum packed had a apparently lost their seal. This perplexed me since I am and avid fisherman and vacuum pack fish and other food items nearly year round. I have had broken seals before but it is a fairly consistent and low percentage. What I was observing with the fig cuttings was about 30% of them appeared to have lost their seal. Looking through them I noticed one very large cutting which was actually inflated. So, there is a some type of off gassing happening once I vacuum pack them. It appears that the ones which sat in the fridge for a week or so, and were then vac packed, didn't have this problem. Anyone have a better idea what is happening here? Vac Packing with real Food Saver Bags is somewhat expensive and time consuming. I would prefer to do it only once.

All of mine that were vacuum packed are still nice and tight. I am far from an expert but is it possible that cuttings taken from dormant trees have inactive chemical processes so they retain their seal, while cuttings taken when the parent tree was NOT dormant are still active and ready to grow and that they would have active chemical processes going on; which would cause your package to inflate. Like I said, not an expert. Have no idea what chemical processes could be going on; conversion of CO2, conversion of sugars, preparing new growth processes.
    Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
    Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

Out of curiosity, how long will cuttings stored in vacuum sealed packages survive in the refrigerator? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? Can they be stored in vacuum packaging in the freezer for any period of time?
      Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
      Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Comment

efletche:

Your suggestion of why this is happening may be on the right track. From reading the forums vac packing cuttings is a fairly common practice. I'm sure I am not the 1st person to run into this.

With regard to how long the cuttings will last someone else who has the experience to answer will have to give you their result.

Comment

Working...
        X