X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert King Brebas: How Low Can They Go?

We all know that the brebas are already formed on the tree and will overwinter as a tiny patch of proto goodness. We know that if they're exposed to temps too low that they'll die and there will be no breba crop.

Does anyone know specifically what temperatures a DK breba can take and survive? Thanks.
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

I hear 15 degrees for a short period of time

Comment

Please report back with results!
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

I've no direct experience with DK, but have read on the fig forums that it has produced breba figs after the low temps have been in the teens. This article, http://planetfig.com/cultivars/fcveng8588.html also seems to substantiate that info. Micro climates should also be a consideration with most of the anecdotal info.

Please update us if you find any info. Thanks.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

This is a great question especially for us cool climate fig growers.
          I am especially interested in Desert King and Black Sicilian JR since they are both super breba producers and proven cold tolerant.

This year I planted my 2yr old Desert King and Sic. Black in ground with a little extra care in protecting them for the winter. I will find out next summer if this worked or not.
          I am confident this will work, based on seeing Adriano's Desert King planted in ground against a wood fence and a friend who has Sicilian Black planted in ground. These both have winter protection and have been told both of these trees have produced good crops of brebas for many years.

This doesn't answer your question as to what the specific critical temperature is.
          I would think the actual temp number varies based on the wind exposure and other micro-climate factors. My guess is around -5C for a fully dormant tree protected from the wind.
          Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
          Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
          Canada Fig Growers

Comment

Are there any z8 growers that produce brebas in ground without protection? I am trying a dk but have been told not to expect much.
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I have a friend in OR Z8 and his trees produce every year. He keeps them as 3 stemmed semi bushes. No protection.
              Bob C.
              Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Hershell, Gene Hosey grew Filacciano Bianco in Maryland and got brebas without protection other than being against a wall. He said the buds are hardier than DK. I think he was zone 7.
                https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                SE PA
                Zone 6

Comment

Last year I kept my DK in my unheated greenhouse and I just checked my temperature readings in the greenhouse for last winter and the low was 17 degrees which it got to a handful of times but that was the "low spike" and the low days were separated by a few weeks. My GH get's morning sun so it goes up into the 40's - 50's most sunny days during the winter.

I only got 3 fruit off my DK but it was a 2 yr old tree. This year i'll have a 2yr old and 3yr old DK sheltering in the unheated greenhouse. I'm hoping for more than 3 fruit per tree this year
                  Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Working...
                  X