X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved Brooklyn Tree - Unknown Sheepshead

Here is the thread where this tree was introduced.
    http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/saving-a-fig-tree-in-brooklyn-7506971?pid=1288609072

Great News everyone! I was finally able to get some dormant cuttings of the tree, which I’m very thankful for because the house is GONE! When I mean gone, I mean they bulldozed the house, the one time the city does something quick and doesn’t take its time on. Luckily they only demolished the house and didn’t touch the backyard, so I was able to get the remains of the tree. I’m sure by next year the plot will be a new condo even with its incredibly small lot size of maybe 30x120.

As you can see, this tree is super hardy and has grown back more than any other tree I have seen in Brooklyn. This tree was a victim of Sandy and kept truckin. The tree grew back at least 12 new shoots, ranging from 5ft to 13ft this year. I was not able to get to Brooklyn enough this summer to check on the type of fruit, but I vaguely remember it being a dark fruit and the leaves are similar to Mount Etna varieties. So you’re looking at getting a true UNKNOWN ☺, the only thing i know is it originated from italy.

I was able to salvage quite a few cuttings and have already set aside some for members who already showed interest and for my friends and family. I will be sending 3-5 cuttings with at least 3 nodes, i will also include a 2 node or skinny/chubby guys as fillers. I have washed all cuttings with soap and let them dry before packing them in saran wrap and zip lock bags. All I am asking in return is the cost of postage for priority mail flat rate which is $6 or if you want to trade something we can figure it out through messages. I hope to have the first group of cuttings mailed out monday.

Please PM me if interested and send me your mailing address and I’ll send you my PayPal information in return. (Please choose friends and family to avoid fees). I might not respond right away, so don’t worry if you dont hear from me till weekend.

NYC has already lost many trees due to Sandy and severe winters, my goal is to try and preserve one more tree that has been in Brooklyn probably 40+ years and has a place in my heart. I’m hoping it will have a place in yours.

Do you want to own a piece of Brooklyn? ☺
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Generous offer, and your efforts to preserve this plant are commendable- nice job!
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jesse . Hoping others will be able to grow it out and keep it going

Nice job, Matt!
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Well done Mat pm sent.

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      Your on the list Chris, speak in a few days.

Good job, Matt.

Looking forward to the next part of the story.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks kevin. So am i, I have a few growing from this season that are only a few inches so hoping they will get a head start if they make it through dormancy.

PM sent. Thanks for the offer.
    Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
    Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      You got it bill, I'll be responding to my messages shortly with paypal info.

Way to go!

looks like it will be saved due to your efforts! !
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Scott, I think there's definitely enough to go around and get it started in many places now. I'm very happy

So far I think I got everyone covered so far, just waiting on some people's payments. Hoping to have these out monday. Then I need to do a recount on how much I have left for friends and family, I think I might still have some packs left.
    ​​​​​

Comment

All,

Just shipped out 16 packages, if you paid me then you should have received a tracking# already in private message. Please keep me posted

Updates to come in a few days once remaining people pay or respond back.

Thanks,
      Matt
      ​​​​​

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Exceptional cuttings Matty !!!! Thanks for sharing and giving us a chance to participate to your very noble cause. I will keep you posted on the progress .
          I owe you one bud!

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
            BrooklynMatty commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to hear they arrived safely chris! Thanks for letting me know, keep us updated

Got mine today as well, they look like they'll be easily rooted! I hope to have some updates to share next year as well!

Thanks again Matt!

Comment

Well i found 3 more packs under the good cheese, if anyone is interested. The interest was so high that i had Scott COGardener traveled all the way from Colorado to pick some up this weekend, hehe. It was a pleasure catching up with you.
            ​​​​​

Comment

The trip was well worth it Matt, and a distinct pleasure to meet you.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

First two cuttings are rooting. All of them are just loaded with root initials. Thanks again for the great cuttings!

Comment

Thanks Casey for the update. I've been hearing reports of roots growing in under 10 days, so here's hoping everyone is as lucky and these are vigorous growers for all
                  ​​​​​

Comment

Just checking in to see how people's cuttings are doing. I finally got some time to put some of my cuttings in coir, got 4 of the sheepshead cuttings in the bins. My other two methods will be done sometime later this week.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                    ​​​​​

Comment

Hey Matt,

I was just wondering myself. I'm sure they will do well for everyone.

Comment

I checked on my cuttings today. I was excited to see two cuttings have small roots and I just put them in cups. (sorry I didn't snap any pictures).
                        Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Mine all had roots, into cups and have started poppin green nubs out. Thanks again Matt!!
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Shailesh - thanks for the update

Mike - looks great dude!
                            ​​​​​

Comment

Ciao Matt

You sheepshead was fastest to root and easiest to do everything with. Great job to find very strong tree. Mine are in cups already with leaf!
                              Co sends me😉
                              Grazie again
                              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I like to share. ..

Comment

Fabio - I'm glad the cuttings are doing well for you and happy Scott was able to share some with you. When he came and visited me at my house, I tried to make sure he left with some extras. Glad he made good use of them and sent them to you.

Scott is very kind , thanks dude !
                                  ​​​​​

Comment

It's what I do.

Comment

Working...
                                  X