X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing ants in the greenhouse

Ok everyone it's been freezing at night and the ants are migrating to the heat. I noticed trails of them everywhere today in the greenhouse. I also noticed that a few potted trees had thousands in the soil. They look like they are carrying something. They are everywhere and I need the big guns as Im not organic. Any tips?

Gasoline sprayed on and a match. Or permethrin. Seven dust also works and liquid seven. All but the gas are safe.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Hijack an anteater from the zoo. ... or an army of horny toad lizards.

can of W-40 and a lighter. ..

Or what Hershell said. ... 😆
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I've given you a more complete answer on the F4F forum but will repeat a shorter version hear for those who don't frequent it. I use Talstar PL granulars, which I buy for the feed and seed or my exterminator. It's not a poison but a neurotoxin which kills them on contact. It won't be taken up by plants and its safe to use around pets and children. It cost $25 dollars for a 25 pound bag and is enough to cover my 1/3 acre lot. I spread it twice a year and never have a ant problem.
        "gene"
        Zone 9 Houma LA in the bayou land.

Comment

Coffee grounds spread around the whole place...if you have access to that much used coffee grounds.
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

problem solved

Click image for larger version

Name:	51x6an1StoL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	51544
            Wish List -

Comment

Originally posted by DBJohnson View Post
              Coffee grounds spread around the whole place...if you have access to that much used coffee grounds.
              Starbucks give their used coffee away daily. Just go in and ask. They have a special container for customers who want these grounds daily.

The ants are carrying their larvae. I feed them boric acid mixed with sugar for sweet ants, or cotton balls soaked in boric acid and sugar, or white cornmeal mixed with sugar. the cornmeal swells in time and kills the ants. These techniques are all successful in killing ants at the hive where it counts much better than on the spot. The ants share their food so they will be killing eachother. thousands in the hive will die with the ingested, killer shared food
              Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

Do I just set the cotton balls on top of the soil?

Comment

• chauqg
                  chauqg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I soaked cotton balls in a liquid mix, i placed them in or near where the ants would find them in a bottle cap with some of the liquid to keep the cotton balls from drying out too fast. Does not take many to kill the hive. I had huge carpenter ants. Tried all these ways of ridding them. They were gone within a week. Never did return. Also worked on little sweet ants around the kitchen in spring.

I use something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Terro-Liq...T300/202532940

I'm sure it's cheaper to make at home. How do you make, or what strength boric acid do you buy and how much sugar do you add? Thanks.
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• chauqg
                  chauqg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Think if they ingest any acid they die. I use 50-50 don't Think it matters. Too much acid they will not eat. Mixed ½ cup powder several years ago, still us sing it in spring. HAVE LITTLE TROUBLE WITH ANTS. Wills using paper might keep moist longer. I'm usually pouring liquid over cotton daily until I see no ants. Does not take long

Will borax work the same as boric acid?
                Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

• chauqg
                  chauqg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes both work exceptionally well.

Terra live trap. Any hardware store. The walk in and out and carry poison to nest... Dead 2 week. Also any spider or ant family no like broken steps. Use cinnamon they no pass over.

Also good to heal slice wound on fig and keep away fungal gnat.
                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Originally posted by chauqg View Post

I feed them boric acid mixed with sugar for sweet ants, or cotton balls soaked in boric acid and sugar These techniques are all successful in killing ants at the hive where it counts much better than on the spot. The ants share their food so they will be killing eachother. thousands in the hive will die with the ingested, killer shared food

That is what I do as well though I just use squares of folded up paper towel soaked in the mix. 75% sugar water and 25% 20 mule team borax, the stuff in the detergent aisle in the grocery store.....they drink up the sugar borax and take it back to the nest and it kills everything including the queen. Safe and effective. Just have to keep it away from dogs, cats won't touch it. Doubt that small amount would hurt a dog but why chance it.
                  Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

WillsC did you also known Borax 20
                    Mule also kills creepin Charlie in the lawn without harming the lawn AND is best for curing salmon egg skien to use to fish with! I must try your way with tis for ants
                    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Mike,

I didn't know that about the weed but I have cured many many pounds of skein in it
                      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Working...
                      X