X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing my in-ground fig

Now this is probably overkill and it's a little time consuming but seeing that I only have 1 inground fig right now, this is what I do.

Two years ago, this fig died back to the ground due to my lack of good winter protection.

I inherited this fig and would like to keep this fig as safe as I can during the winter.

It's currently planted in a whiskey barrel but that will change next year when it moves to a better spot in the yard.

The method is as follows:
    - drive stakes around the center of the barrel
    - tie the center stems together
    - trim other stems
    - wrap with plastic fence
    - fill snow fence with composted shredded leaves
    - wrap the plastic fence higher
    - fill with dry shredded leaves
    - cover with plastic bucket
    - wrap with house insulation
    - wrap with plastic

I think it might be a little overkill but I do not want to lose this tree. I'd like to pass it on to my niece's when they are older seeing it came from their grandfather.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 8 photos.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

That should definitely protect it from the cold
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      It worked last year, I hope it works for this year too

Considering the crazy snow you get in MA, I don't think it's overkill at all!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      We had over 100 inches last year, most of it fell between mid January thru end of February.

Very unusual year though, I don't mind the snow. I just hope this year it is more spread out thru the winter

• SarinaP
      SarinaP commented
      Editing a comment
      My sister used to live in Western Mass--I used to love making igloos out there!

Thanks for sharing your winterization procedure. Good Luck
    Please keep us updated.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      I will, this is the second year i've done it exactly the same way.

Last year no issues with mold or dieback.

We'll see what this year brings.

any mold issue ?? I wrapped mine almost same way - the house insulation and had major mold die back

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      You must no have insulation direct touch tree. Wrap tree with burlap or cheese cloth first then use faced sided insulation and put face aginst tree. Then tarp it and leave until spring. You also can make couple vent holes in tarp invade get warm before freeze but tape closed when snow come and re vent in spring

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      i put a large plastic bucket filled with leaves over the top but then wrap the whole thing with plastic.

do you use leaves and then insulation?

Everything I used was bone dry (soil and leaves), i'm hoping that will decrease the chance of mold.

Last year I did the exact same thing and there was no mold so I'm hoping for the same this year.

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      If it work for you wonderful and continue do so I no use leaf or anything beside burlap on tree then paper leaf bag over tis. Then insulation paper against paper. Then tarp over ever tinge. I slice small vent hole in tarp and make sure tree can have air out when spring get little warm but no warm enough to uncover.

Think tis

I burry my trees 5ft under ground. Big hole/vault. Rubber tarp on dirt bottom. Wood plank on rubber tarp. Tree. Wood on tree. Pipe to exchange air and cover with dirt. Every year no problem. Wood on wood is good. Anything absorbing against tree is bad. Mold. I make photo to post and you see

How low did your winter temps get last year and for how long did the cold temps hold?
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we had a few weeks where it was in the single digits for a few days or more.

But starting mid-January we had around a 3ft+ snowpack that really didn't melt until mid-March so that probably helped protect it too.

It'll be interesting to see how it does this year.

I keep hearing how some folks 'bury' their figs by digging a trench, laying them down and covering them.

I'd like to think this method is similar to that. We'll see as time goes on though.

Then just push dirt back over. Tis deep enough no rabbit or varmint. But just Incase I get bag of human hair clippings from local salon save me and disperse threw out tree and vault
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately, i don't have access to machinery.

I kind of wish I did though, it would make a bunch of things easier like winterization of figs, snow removal, etc.

Fitz,
    No matter machine or no. Or even underground or above. Is just to show you to wrap method. Never plastic or absorbent material against tree for winter. Always use layer or two of "dry protection" first before insulation or blanket then light weight breathable tarp.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you explain the what you mean by dry protection?

Sì

Dry protection mean wrap you tree as well as you can with things that will stay dry. If you put tree underground like me you no need as much protection from cold. But because you wrap tree vertically you need to simulate underground protection.
    Burried underground is wood/tree/wood/dirt. Wood is "dry" if get wet will not hold moisture like insulation will. You want to keep the very first material you wrap you tree with something that will no hold moisture that may cause mold. So burlap wicks moisture and drys very fast. So I do burlap then big paper leaf bag or tar paper sometime no always I wrap with cardboard then I wrap with insulation with the paper side against the cardboard or tar paper. If fuzzy insulation is inward and gets wet or moisture from condensation is like sponge and will then start to soak all the materials between the tree and insulation. You want fuzzy insulation face outward and then cover and tighten breathable tarp over the top and weight down or secure the tarp to the ground and mulch up over the bottom of tarp to keep is safe from animals to get in.
    More or less you want to keep the tree dry and warm over winter no matter what you use just make sure it stays dry

I hope I no confuse you

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the clarification. too late this year.

If it doesn't do well this year, it's something to think about for next year.

thanks again.

Kevin

I am sure you will be okay Amico!

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      also something to think about when I expand my inground figs but that's probably a year or two away to allow for another year or two of growth in pots.

I also planted 60 trees still in the pots with 12, 1/2 inch holes drill in sides of each pot planted in ground. In fall I soak ground around each pot for 5 min and use spade shovel to pry pot out of ground roots and all. Tis upcoming year I will plant them
    All again direct in ground but on a big angel so they easier to bend down in winter. Tis way is easiest to winterize I ground tree. In fall just clear away some ground just below the leaning tree. Put down wood(I use broken up pallet or paneling) under the tree. Tie tree branch together like you do vertically then bend it down to the wood. Next put top wood over naked tree ( like samwich) weights it to stay down then burlap or black weed gaurd over wood then leaf,mulch, hay... Whatever you can find that's DRY. For insulation and finally tarp over all and secured to ground and mulch over ends of tarp to keep animal out. I can winterize a tree tis way in about 20 min. Never lose a tree yet tis way also

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      i'm thinking i might have 6 or 10 in ground figs.

I don't have that much land right now for more than that.

thanks again for sharing your method.

Prego... Also remember if you have enough inside storage use 25 gal pot with casters on bottom. A tree will grow higher than you comfortably can reach fruit in a pot that size and still make many many fruit.

Comment

Fabio what do you consider a breathable tarp ??

Comment

Ciao bigfig!

I mean like above ground pool cover tarp. Normally Home Depot for about $10 brown. Blue. Camo colors. They repel water and wind but are woven to breath.
        Tarp only meant to repel waters and windchill if you get by you. That's all. In spring it will breathe exchange humid air saving tree from mold (if you wintreize how I say with bend over tree) if you use insulation you still need to cut vent hole in tarp in spring because insulation get very hot

Plain plastic will no exchange air
        Last edited by Taverna78; 12-07-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

See texture ?
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• bigfig
            bigfig commented
            Editing a comment
            yes Fabio thank you , that wont get wet on the inside ??

No sir. I use same tarp every year never fails.but again if you do way I explain with wood is no problem.

Comment

• bigfig
            bigfig commented
            Editing a comment
            thank you Fabio ,you been much help. God Bless

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            Mike, what method did you use last year when you had rodent damage where most of your trees were stripped of bark?

Tis happen to my trees because my brother have idiots burry under ground in shallow grave. They just covered naked trees with dirt 1/2 above the freeze line and the animal burrowed inside burried trees to eat the bark. I always make sure animal can no get between samwich and I always put human hair and moth balls in between the wood with tree.

They no do anything correctly when animal eat them.

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            well they say if you want something done right you have to do it yourself

Thanks for the new method.

Tis very true!

Very truth

Comment

Tis is update I finally have okay weather to complete uncover wrapped trees. Tis was wrapped with burlap then cardboard then insulation then tarp. No mold no dieback perfect.if you look close all the branch on bottom where I remove in fall for chi Talia blanco cuttings.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Taverna78; 04-13-2016, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• fitzski
              fitzski commented
              Editing a comment
              looks good Mike. I'm going to unwrap mine in the next week or so.

• eboone
              eboone commented
              Editing a comment
              I have one in ground-going to pull of the cover this weekend. Hope it looks this good - if so there will be more join it in ground.

Tis way I do it I never lose any tree. Although is ganna be different tis year because I ganna have lot more in ground and will take forever to corner 100+ trees like tis

Comment

Working...
            X