X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Hybrid Fig

This fig is from a tree i found while jogging next to the flood control basin in Southern California late last year(growing in between the rocks next to the water) . I took some cuttings back with me to Arizona to see if they needed pollination or not....and it doesn't! My guess is that it is a mix between a green fig and a purple fig possibly Kadota/Black Mission....but who knows...definitely spread by bird poop. The leaf pattern is different from any fig i have and the fig is golden with a purple haze. I'm really happy that i got cuttings because this past summer i went jogging on the same path and the tree was gone. I'm assuming it got cleared out by city workers keeping the flood basin clear of trees. The fig was really sweet and it had a hint of melon figgy flavor.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Quy
    SoCal, Zone 9b

nice find!

If the city workers just cut it down it might well grow back from the roots. If they used herbicide, you likely truly saved it.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

That is a great story Q!

sounds like a winner and one people win want.

Thank you for sharing.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks guys! Next time i'm back in Cali i'm going to go for a jog again and if Ed is right there should be some suckers growing....if so i'll have a lot to share! If it isnt there.....i'll probably chop my plant down to the stub and share cuttings anyways just to make sure that plant doesn't go extinct! It took me a year to grow a cutting in Arizona to find out if it needed the wasp....and i'm glad it doesn't. I'm really excited that it doesnt need the wasp! Hoping to share it soon!
        Quy
        SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

• silveradocanman
          silveradocanman commented
          Editing a comment
          What part of Cali were you in? I can go check NOW to share the love SOONER! lol

• Q*
          Q* commented
          Editing a comment
          It was next to the Santa Ana River trail about 6 miles up river from Pacific Coast Highway pretty hard to pin point. there are lots of Caprifigs along the way...maybe you can ride a bike! hahahhaha I usually run up and down the trail usually 10-12 miles at a time.

• silveradocanman
          silveradocanman commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, not too far at all from me, maybe I will take a bike ride!!!

Not only does it not require the wasp, but it is edible and tasty. .. not all seedlings are from what I've read.

A very good score and a generous offer when the time comes!!!
        Last edited by COGardener; 11-30-2015, 06:41 PM.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

If people were that easy to save! Something to be proud of Q. Looks like a distinct leaf and fig.
          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Looks good! Interesting leaves, don't think I've seen any figs with leaves like those before.
            Sarah
            Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Very neat story, and those leaves look pretty cool. That's great that you were able to save it.

Comment

Good find, Q. The leaves look like a cross between Hardy Chicago and Ice Crystal.
                Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                Tony
                Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Nice looking fig. Congratulations!

Comment

That fig looks lovely! Glad it tastes good, too.
                    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Working...
                    X