X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Hardy Chicago cuttings... All Gone!

I've been hearing many new folks are having trouble with rooting cuttings and I thought free cuttings might help some folks learn how to successfully propagate figs from cuttings.

I know it's probably something that many people have but my Hardy Chicago fig trees have been my workhorse figs.

They keep producing year after year no matter what the weather.

The short story behind this tree is that I inherited it from my sister in law's father. To winter protect this tree, he used to surround the mother tree (which was about 6-8 feet wide and high) with hay bales. Then stuff the hay bales with leaves and throw a big tarp over the whole tree. He had little or no dieback year after year.

I've been "vertically" burying the tree for the past two years and it has done well. It even survived the 100+ inches of snow we got last winter with no dieback. I was shocked when it just sprouted back last spring from the ends of the stems I had trimmed back.

So overall, a tasty fig that produces well, will survive the winter in-ground with protection.

Please PM me if you're interested. I probably have enough for at least 5 packages of 5+ cuttings each.

Here are some pictures of the cuttings, the leaves and fruit.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by AscPete; 12-03-2015, 08:54 PM.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Very nice Kevin! Not only is a work horse, it's Damn tasty!

good luck to the lucky recipients.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, it is tasty. I'm looking forward to more dark figs next year to compare with this ones as most of my new figs this year were green/yellow figs.

I would love to get some Hardy Chicago cuttings from you. Thank you for the generous offer.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, you're in. I'll PM you when I'm ready to ship them.
      Last edited by fitzski; 11-30-2015, 02:35 PM.

Thank you very much!

Comment

This is an awesome offer, Kevin! I have a small tree from Raintree and got to taste one fig off it this year. It was small, but the skin was very tender and the entire thing was delicious. Definitely a keeper variety.
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks, Sarah. It's been a great variety for me so far.

It'll be interesting to see how my new young dark figs (MBVS, Scott's Black, Gino's Black, RDB, etc) compare to it next year.

• Sarahkt
        Sarahkt commented
        Editing a comment
        I have those same dark varieties this year and so far have only tasted RdB (prolific, precocious, and grows like a weed; very high up in the keeper list). MBVS is probably going to be similar based on all the reviews. I've seen fewer posts on the other two, but those are also generally positive.

Folks,

There is no charge here. This is my way of giving back to the fig growing community.

I know it's a common variety but it's the only thing I have a ton of extra cuttings this year.

I hate to just toss them away.

I have at least a dozen of these in various stages of growth.

Comment

I'll take you up on the offer! Thank you!
        Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          ok, you're in.

That is very nice of you Kevin! Good luck to all the recipients! The generosity and spirit of this forum is absolutely amazing! Good Karma is coming your way!
        Quy
        SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

May I get in on the offer of Hardy Chicago cuttings?
          New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            yes, you're in.

• JimmyS
            JimmyS commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you

This would be great I would love to get one also thanks
          Iowa Z5

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            ok, you are in too.

• Iowafig
            Iowafig commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you very much!

Very generous of you fitzski! I'm hoping to taste figs from my HC tree next year.
          Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            from what I've heard, Hardy Chicago does well no matter where you are in the country. I hope it fruits well for you next year.

ok, folks. I think we're full for now until I get the first set out. I'll probably have more but I need to see how many more i might have.

Here are the folks that made it.

Iowafig
          DBJohnson
          lifigs
          JimmyS
          figgrower
          chuckell

I'll contact you all when I'm ready to ship.
          Last edited by fitzski; 11-30-2015, 08:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to add chuckell to the list

Comment

• DaveL
            DaveL commented
            Editing a comment
            Very generous of you Kevin. Another example of why we have the better of all the forums.

I made all the packages tonight. There are three categories of cuttings: old wood (2 yr old wood), new wood (1 yr old wood) and thin wood (1 yr old wood less than a diameter of a pencil). I included at least a couple cuttings of each category.

My suggestion is to do some research and find a propagation method that you think will work for you and try 1 of each category. It will be interesting to see your success rate.

i look forward to hearing your results

Comment

I've mostly propagated new wood cuttings from this tree but this year I'm going to try some old wood cuttings this year.

Comment

Well, late to the party, but if you end up with extra packages...

As the late one, maybe I am the break point between those that got in on the freebies and those that can Paypal to you at least for your postage... Just lemme know

Very generous of you
              Phoenix, AZ
              Zone 9b
              Hot, mostly

Comment

• Sarahkt
                Sarahkt commented
                Editing a comment
                I should be able to spare a few cuttings. Feel free to PM me if you're still looking.

We're all full at this moment. I'll probably do this again next year.

Thanks for the interest.

Here's the link to trusted/known vendors list, there are also other members who sell on eBay sometimes.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...s-vendors-list

if you have questions about a seller, just ask folks on this site.
              Last edited by fitzski; 12-02-2015, 07:09 AM.

Comment

All packages have been sent out.

Let me know if they don't arrive by early next week and I'll check the tracking number.

Happy rooting!!!

Comment

• Courtney
                  Courtney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ty, Kevin for your kindness and generosity!

Thanks Kevin!
                Iowa Z5

Comment

• fitzski
                  fitzski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you're welcome, let me know when they arrive.

I'd like to know if the thin cuttings survived the shipping without being wrapped in saran wrap.

Kevin, your Hard Chicago cuttings just arrived. Great assortment of sizes to work with. Thanks again for your generous offer.
                Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
                Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

• fitzski
                  fitzski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're welcome, great to hear that they arrived. Keep me updated on how you do with them.

Looks great Kevin! Put them into the rooting bin. Thank you will keep you posted....
                Iowa Z5

Comment

• fitzski
                  fitzski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't put them all in at once, learn from my mistakes from last year

Good luck, keep me updated.

I think they arrived at the post office yesterday and I got them today. Look great! Thank you, Kevin!

Comment

• fitzski
                  fitzski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you're welcome. Best of Luck with them.

Anyone have a rooting update yet?

Comment

I didn't start mine until last week. 1/3 of them using direct pot method, 1/3 using 3-cup methodithout pre-rooting, and 1/3 using bag method. Nothing yet.

Comment

• fitzski
                    fitzski commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thanks for the update Bryant. It'll probably be a few more weeks before they show anything.

Hey Kevin all the cuttings rooted easily and growing very fast. Did half in sphagnum moss and the others wrapped with para film directly planted in soil. I have got Hardy Chicago trees coming out of my ears. Ha.... Thanks again Chad
                  Iowa Z5

Comment

• fitzski
                    fitzski commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great! Thanks for the update.

I have had mine in slightly damp moss since the day I received them. No roots yet. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• fitzski
                    fitzski commented
                    Editing a comment
                    not sure, could be one of a variety of things.

What temp is it wher the cuttings/moss are? Optimal temps are in the 70's.

How moist is the moss? Have the cuttings rotted?

Last year I lost over half my cutting due to the moss being too wet.

If you snip the cutting top or end and see green, the cutting is still viable.

I also learned last year to not root all the cuttings at once, I lost a bunch of varieties last year because I started them all at once and my moss was too wet.

• fitzski
                    fitzski commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have you had any luck with other cuttings?
                Working...
                X