X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magical Potting Mix???

Well I think one of our member "Butts" May of come up with a magical potting mix. He is very knowledgeable with science of all micros Biology and anything to do that will help grow plant healthiest. He also works at Midwest Hydro organics and has use all potting soil media mixtures ECT. Tis past winter I give him a couple of cuttings which one was the desert king. He rooted it successfully in just a couple of SM and potted it in his own creation of the following.... Large perlite Cocos premium AZomite Vermi worm castings Organicare pure food formula And little "down to earth fish powder" All I can say is wow. Again start as bare root cutting 11 month ago. And with in that 11 months has turned in to a beautiful tree with plenty of fig. I cannot get over how healthy and how fast this plant has grown and is now inside under lights still thriving and producing belle fig as well have wonderful velvet feel belle perfect dark green leaf Without any rust or any thing beside 100% perfect! Here photos of tree and all potting mix I buy as well. I swear by the roots organics and clay pebble but I think I will try his mixture majority tis season and see difference vs mine. Ciao I have 2 more photo but no upload. I will try in a little while
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Mike,

Do you have the ratio's on his mix?

Or did he just do it by "feel"?

I have a Hydro store near me that carries all that stuff.

Thanks
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I do have at my home I can post tonight. Or if you like PM member "Butts" he can also give you all Information you need plus much much more!

Comment

• fitzski
        fitzski commented
        Editing a comment
        ok, cool. Just post it here so we can all access it. Thanks

Kevin

Very cool Mike.. I love magical mixes! Lol plus I certainly could use a little magic on this brown thumb of mine. Looking forward to the recipe for this magical potting mix!
      My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is easy once you get hang of it plants need water. Unfortunate water can as well kill it so careful! Any question I try to help you

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also I've discovered too much love & attention are apparently killers too! Lol! If I were to ignore them I think they would be so much better off.. Thanks Mike, I will definitely take your offer to answer questions! I always have so many.. 😁

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Prego J,

Sì I also think because we see trees as "baby" we want care for them like baby and often hurt them more caring for them rather leave alone.

Ok here is mix ratio

Make 16 gallon

Is

Whole bag Coco's
      Whole bag food

Worm casting to color( mean just enough to color coco's color of casting)
      3-4 generous hand full azomite
      3 part large perlite (rinse well before mixing)

If you have problem with overwatering and can't figure out how to no over water add bag of clay pebble or more perlite. I buy roots organics and pebbles for other Figs I am rooting to compare growth rates vs tis mix.
      Fish powder no add to mix but use as directed on package. Tis all that too it!

Comment

Hey Everybody! Just wanted to clarify the mix a bit Taverna pretty much had it down, just wanted to write it out so that it is easy to make to whatever scale.

3 Parts CoCo
        1 Part Perlite
        1 Part Organicare Pure Grow
        Earthworm castings to color
        1/4- 1/2 part azomite

With this mix I only fed roughly 3 three times during the whole season with Fish Hydroloslate.

The Science Behind the Mix:

With 98% of all field soil/potting mix we are trying to create an air to water holding ratio of 50/50.
        This is the optimal ratio for most plants. On average coco holds 30% air to water. The 1 part perlite should be all that is necessary to achieve the right air/water ratio.

Overwatering, has nothing to do with the amount of water you put in the container. You should water thoroughly, so that the potting mix is completely moist. Overwatering speaks to the frequency in which you water. Figs like it a bit dry, so that means that at least HALF the container mix should be completely dry before you water again.

Feeding this mix: The food already present in the mix is all slow release organics. The castings inoculate the mix with the positive microbes to break down the other organics. Azomite covers trace elements, the Organicare brings the big macros, and secondary nutrients. DO NOT FEED THIS MIX SYNTHETICS/HIGHLY SOLUBLE MINERAL SOLUTIONS. In my experience this upsets the microbe balance. Instead, Fish; emulsion/hydoloslate/powder are a better option for liquid feeding once the tree becomes established. I look at fish emulsions like a weak synthetic, that feeds microbes as well as the plant.

I think that about covers it I will be happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Comment

• eboone
          eboone commented
          Editing a comment
          Might be good to test the mix for wicking ability before doing wholesale planting in it - I do not know how well coir wicks water

• Butts
          Butts commented
          Editing a comment
          Coir wicks water well on a flood table. It wets up quicker and easier than peat

• Butts
          Butts commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to change the Pure Grow and azomite amounts to: "follow suggested amounts on package directions" no wuite sure how to change my post. My apologies

Awesome post Pat! I think it will help better than my explains

Comment

Also, adding a little moisture when mixing, can help the castings to better distribute evenly.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the Organic Potting Mix recipe...

Any thoughts on substituting Peat Moss for the Coir in the mix, water to air ratios etc, other that the lower pH of Peat Moss?
            Thanks.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Butts
              Butts commented
              Editing a comment
              I would imagine the ratio could work well with peat. Though I have not made a peat based organic mix

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Butts,
              Thanks for the reply.

Let's see what happens... I am potting few well rooted cutting from cups to 1gal today. I am going to put two same varieties one in magic mix and one in roots organics and see what do what

Comment

Butts,

1 Part Organicare Pure Grow? That is correct? It sure seems like a lot as does the azomite which is just for trace. I looked at the link for the Organicare and the website states "Mix 1/2 to 1 oz. per gallon of growing media" . Going to try it just want to make sure it isn't a typo.
              Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• Butts
                Butts commented
                Editing a comment
                Typo- thanks will. they're directions are good guidelines. The amount of food should really be based on total volume. I went rather heavy with the pure grow. I am trying to get away from liquid fertilizer. Its a time managment issue lol. To many plants... not enough time.

at least I went very very light on food and castings. For 5 gal bucket I use maybe cup of food and 2 cup castings.also because I have a heavy pour when watering I do like a 60/40 coco pearlite mixed then added food and cast and mixed again as well as added clay pebbles. So we will see... Butts send me photo of fig size on tree is amazing.... Not too bad for being started as cutting about year ago with no dormancy just grown under light inside.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I have about 50 containers outside each spring maybe more? So potting mixes are way too expensive to buy. I make my own. 3 parts pine fines, 1 part peat, 1 part DE, and 1 part compost. I change my fertilizer up from year to year, as i test various products. Anyway here are some cuttings I rooted in February or March. Photo taken June 16th, so the cuttings are 3 or 4 months old.

Comment

Working...
                X