X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Change in Your 2016 Propagation Indoor set up!

I remember last season someone make post on wanting to see everyone's setups. Lights,bins, rooms ect... I am start rooting many cutting and I am limited in space for cupping and even more for potting 1gal I think I should of wait closer to spring time in my zone because I have feeling is going to be very long winter. My zone weather is crazy. Snow. Next day 50F. Then Snow freeze.and again 50F. Soon or late we will get Chicago bitter cold and snow and will last longer than normal. (I hope I wrong) but for now maybe someone has good set up that no take too much space but can at least cup 100 cutting. I also feel I should buy the tall box style 1gal pots so is easier to fit more in small area?

I see tis on Internet image and I like it
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Sometime in the next 4-6 weeks I'll be building a setup like that in my basement for fig cuttings as well as seeding flats for the garden. Plan is to have 4 or 6 large shelves with heat mats and lights. Will post pics when I get the project going.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't currently have the heating mat system...that's part of what I'm researching to buy when bonus checks come out the end of this week. A thermostat(s) is part of the plan.

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      ...sorry. I've not gotten far enough into the plans to have settled on a specific thermostat.

• Erick
      Erick commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just wondering because I'm looking at different ones right now too. I think I've almost got everything ready to start my cuttings. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

Wonderful! I must get these pots!

Comment

Sì. HarveyC just inform me of tis place. I make order. No sure if I need 250 of them tho

Comment

You'll use them over the next couple years Mike, especially with trade and sale of trees and transporting to the farm.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Tis true CO

Comment

I think I read somewhere that they are reusable, too.

Comment

I reuse pots all the time.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

You don't have to buy full case quantities at Stuewe......

The only downside is shipping costs. Earlier this year my mom was driving by Stuewe with a mini-van, so had her drop by and pick up my order. Since they filled the back of the van, I'm afraid of what the shipping would have been!
                Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Bryant heat mat no expense. I use the mat that come with seed starting kit from Home Depot cost $14 and I just set the plastic dome side. Google "Midwest hydro organics" is in crest hill Illinois. If you find anything you want or need on there even if you want something you no see. Call them and ask for Patrick (aka butts) member name here. He has everything and will beat ANYONE prices!

http://www.midwesthydroganics.com

+1 (815) 838-0100

Comment

Hi Mike,

Here's my setup. It includes two 4 ft fluorescent lights (one has 2 bulbs, the other 4), my potting bench underneath and my storage bookcase on the left.

While I do have heating pads, I don't plan to use them this year as I'm trying to follow Tim Clymer's method of propagation.

I do have a humidity domes over the cuttings in the bins right now but I'll remove them once they start to root or leaf out.

Last year I had problems moving cuttings from high humidity to low so I figured I'd try being a minimalist this year with the humidity and see how it works for me.

This is the first batch of direct root cuttings for me this year.

I think I'm going to have to add another light that I will attach to the bottom of the current shelf so I can have some plants on the potting bench. The current light shelf isn't going to have enough room for everything.

I also have cuttings sitting in damp coir that I started on Nov 15th.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Kevin looks great! As far as heat and humidity check out post I make about humidity. There some detailed answers and takes on tis subject.

Comment

I plan to use heating mats only because the basement isn't heated.

Comment

Make sure you keep about .5-1 inch space between mat and cup bottom. It'll cook root if is too hot
                          I use plastic drop ceiling light protector.

Comment

I'm getting the big trays that will hold 16 of the pots. It that doesn't provide enough space, there's always a bin of nuts and bolts handy to shim them up.

Comment

• fitzski
                              fitzski commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Bryant,

Have you read Tim Clymer's method?

http://www.threefoldfarm.org/blog/si...ig-propagation

He's in PA and his basement is between 60-65 in the winter.

I'm trying this method now but I do have heat pads to use in case I need them though.

Good Luck.

Kevin

• DBJohnson
                              DBJohnson commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Kevin,

Yes, I have the page bookmarked and plan to follow his method with the mats as backup. I'll be getting the heat mat system anyway to start seeds for our big garden.

Perfect! Just don't make post contest on how many bolts please. One contest like that already screw my phone up ahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                            X