X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question asked for the newbies

Now that we come up to season of cutting rooting and potting and many successful rooted cuttings are killed from overwatering and lot of new growers ask....

If a successful rooted cutting is potted, budded or leafed out and get root rot from being overwatered is the cutting then dead in garbage?
    Or as long as there are a few node left and are able to find green cambein layer below node they can cut off rotted area and re root? Do the cutting must be put back in fridge for few weeks or can re start rooting process right away?

I have been asked but no sure correct answer so I leave it to the forum.

Grazie
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

IMHO DEAD. Perhaps others more skilled than I can save the cuttings but I have found once it rots all the vigor, life force......whatever in the cutting is gone. MAYBE if the cutting is long enough it can be done and if it is caught early enough but the way it works in my experience is this:

Cutting roots>is potted>grows leaves>looks good>you celebrate your skill>one day you notice the leaves have wilted>you think maybe it is just dry and needs time or water> DEAD>you then say bad things>you blame the fungus gnats unfairly.

When you notice there is a problem because it wilts it is already too late. Now in the moss if you see a little rot and remove it, yes I think it can be saved but odds are already against you at that point. If it is already cupped up and has leaves and wilts.......I think the odds of resurrection are almost nil. Again, just my opinion.
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• jmaler
      jmaler commented
      Editing a comment
      With my limited experience, I'd have to go with what Wills said.

Ahahaha! Tis is great explain of mix emotion WillsC !!
    When I succeeded I normally used do the Tom Cruise Risky Business sock dance air guitar in my Fabio work shirt followed by the moonwalk finishing off with a Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Kane goal slide on one knee down my hall way...then week later I sit with my head in my hands with bottle vino and sing swing low and weep like a teenage girl just lose her first love.....

I too think you correct but I just wanted people's thoughts for new growers...

Comment

• Sarahkt
      Sarahkt commented
      Editing a comment
      This calls for you to make a YouTube video.

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      I second that motion Sarah! A youtube video must be made! Lol

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmm...... Maaabbbyyyyeeeeeeeee

well I can tell you for certain skip the angst and go ahead and burn the sucker up. You will feel better that you did not waste your time and resources trying to get a dead mule to dance. Ain't gonna happen.

Comment

I learned my lesson....no celebrating until the tree is in a big pot. And maybe not even then....don't want to jinx anything.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Wait until you see.... My wife already sharpening butcher knife for me because I say her... " I start rooting cutting too early".... She say "wherea you ganna keep tis all when you need in cups and pot"? I smile and she start to sharpen knife.... Cull* #%_+* I may have many newly root cutting for sale in few week😔

Comment

Working...
        X