X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

So, I learned something new yesterday. Dean and I were hanging out last night in companionable internet/catching up with friends mode, when he started guffawing and snorting. He said when asked what we were up to, he'd told his friend I was "figging" since at that moment I was looking at yet more figs and gardening stuff online.

His friend: "I don't think that word means what you think it means" and sent him a Wiki link.

Reading one Wikipedia page has abolished the use of this word by me and mine for all time:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figging
    There's also a related article on "gingering." Poor horses. Did anyone know this was even a thing?

I was hesitant to even share this with you all (inappropriate?), but lest you use this word unawares...

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Lol. I've never been figging. How do people come up with this stuff?
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• Sarahkt
      Sarahkt commented
      Editing a comment
      No idea. But anyone who has used it in on a resume or professional document to answer questions such as "What do you like to do in your free time? / Extracurriculars?" -- should probably switch that out for the more pedestrian descriptor: gardening.

Time to clear history on my browser.... Ha
    Iowa Z5

Comment

That is hilarious.
      Thanks for the heads up. I'll never think of ginger and figs the same way again.

Comment

That is hilarious. Though now I am wondering about your finances friend.........
        Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• Sarahkt
          Sarahkt commented
          Editing a comment
          As now do we all. Though, it means you're probably safe to keep using that word as we all ignorantly did, because anyone who knows what the word ACTUALLY means will be too afraid to call you out on it, for fear of exposing their own hideous knowledge.
          Last edited by Sarahkt; 12-03-2015, 10:43 PM.

OMG!! Holy moly.. Wow.. My husband says this about me too ALL THE TIME.. lol!

Yahhh.. that's pretty bad.... I mean..just.. OUCH! 😧
        My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
        https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

Sorry, I'm not interested in what 'those' kind of people mean with the word, me n my friends here can use it to mean what we KNOW the word figging means
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Sarahkt
            Sarahkt commented
            Editing a comment
            It is possible to edit Wikipedia articles (that's one reason why teachers frown upon using it as a source). I'm thinking maybe a quick line at the bottom:

"May also refer to the hobby of growing fig trees."

Well....that's definitely kinky. Which shade of gray is that?
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Sarahkt
            Sarahkt commented
            Editing a comment
            It's really more of a ginger color. Or maybe a brown!

Too soon?

• DBJohnson
            DBJohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL!

Ouchie! After reading that I might have to get a new hobby.
          Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
          Tony
          Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Wow, the ol spicy butt plug...I didn't see that one coming!
            Thanks for sharing, it's not a term I use and now it certainly won't be.
            Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
            Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I will no be attending the 2016 LSU "Figgin" outing tis year😳
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

we could always add an alternate definition for the term on Wikipedia and make the current one the "other" definition.
                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Kevin, yes, let's do that. Anyone here handy with wikipedia edits? I tried to edit the entry for my hometown once and make it sound a little more exciting (hey, we have a GREAT library), but the edit remained in place for only so long.
                  Sarah
                  Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

I had to look it up, too.
                    USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
                      I will no be attending the 2016 LSU "Figgin" outing tis year😳

Well that explains why Hershell was so excited about going...
                      Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

I do love me some ginger. I mean for medicinal purposes ya know.
                      Travis
                      Pittsburgh, pa

Comment

Guess i'd better plant some ginger this year if i want to be a real "figger" ;-}
                        Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

• don_sanders
                          don_sanders commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Might want to be careful saying "figger" too. "What's up my figger?" That might get you beat down. Lol.

• Sarahkt
                          Sarahkt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wills. Here is an obvious example of why it'd be nice to be able to "Like" comments, not just regular posts.
                      Working...
                      X