X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most common hardware store fig?

Happy surprise this weekend--while helping my sister clean out her old townhouse, I decided to take some cuttings of her fig for her to put in her new yard. She had been dumping compost on it, so had 5 well-rooted suckers--score! She's never had figs from it (2 years old) but also has never done any sort of winterizing so it's died back each winter. She doesn't remember what kind it's supposed to be, so in an informal poll kind of question:

In your experience, what are some of the more common hardware store (Home Depot or Lowe's) figs? I'd like to narrow it down a bit. Thanks!
    Zone 7a in Virginia

From Home depot I see Brown turkey, Kadota and Magnolia most often.

From Walmart I have gotten. Brown turkey, Texas blue giant, Back jack, White genoa, Kadota, Excel, Hardy Chicago, Flanders, Conadria, Black mission Panache and Peter's honey. Forgot to mention that they carry Dave Wilson trees. I think many big box stores carry their trees. http://www.davewilson.com/product-in...n/product/figs

Sorry if that does not help narrow it down much.

figgysid1
    Last edited by figgysid1; 12-06-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Don't know about VA area but locally in the past 2 yrs, Lowes had only Hardy Chicago, Home Depot and Walmart had none, and a garden center had Hardy Chicago and 'Mission' fig plants. Dave Wilson plants are pretty unlikely this far East I believe.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

In CA, I most often see Brown Turkey, Black Mission, Kadota, and White Genoa. In that order.
        Sarah
        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

The 3 Lowe's near me only had Hardy Chicago.
          Sam's Club had un-named fig trees that were short spreading trees with tiny leaves. Not one of them had any figs starting on them and were outrageously priced.
          Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
          Tony
          Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

These are all very helpful, thank you!
            Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

I have never seen actual tree at either store by me. I see fruit sometime in store but never tree
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

As you've noticed from the posts, it depends on the region. In MA i only see Hardy Chicago or Celeste but as well know they might or might not be labelled correct.

So the challenge is to get leaves and fruit from the tree to try and narrow it down.

It was great that you rooted suckers. Good luck with your new trees.
                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

In my area (northeast Pa) I've only seen Brown Turkey, Black Mission, and Celeste at Lowes

Comment

Working...
                  X