X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooting idea ?

Many of us think to get black 4x4x9 pots for rooted cutting. Even I like to buy them. But I just seen tis and ask you thoughts. Normally people take cutting from rooting medium or SM and then put into clear cup to Grow stronger bigger root. The clear is so you can monitor the root growth and help you decide when is right to finally move to 1 gal pot correct? I think I find best of both. Is 4x4x9 clear pvc fold bottom box. The bottom collapse so you really no need drilled bottom drain hole. You can drill few in sides as you would clear cup and now not only you can monitor roots but can stay in tis container for just as long as the black 4x4x9 pots is $30 for 50 boxes on eBay.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I start seeds in 2-liter bottle planters, and that works well for me. They're free, clear, and you can use a plastic bag for your humidity cover. I work in a school, so it's easy to get the bottles for me. http://www.instructables.com/id/Self...growing-herbs/
    You can also use smaller soda bottles, the principle is the same. My fig cuttings are mostly in cups, but I have a few in these and they're doing just as well. Will post a picture tonight.
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

I like the idea of viewing the roots while the cuttings are rooting which is why i'm trying 18oz plastic cups this year.

I'm not sure if the cups are going to be deep enough but for the first batch that's what I am using.

With the 4x4x9 clear pvc boxes you can let the cuttings grow larger roots which sounds good to me.

Maybe i'll try these with my second batch of cuttings.

Thanks for the idea, Mike.
      Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I agree plus is just like black ones we speak of on other post I can fit more into storage bin because of the shape.

Comment

It may be a good idea, the question is whether the plastic material will "hold up" as planters or will they fall apart.

Like Sarina, I've been using 2 liter Soda Bottles (as SIPs) to start fig cuttings for the past 2 seasons...
          They are reusable and recyclable when damaged.

This season I will be starting some cuttings in 16 oz clear cups which will be up potted to # 2 nursery pots provided by a local nursery, they'll be bartered to the nursery for perennials and annual vegetables.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you post photo of you cups in that humidity bin please?

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Photo # 4... 16 oz cups and SIPs in 1020 seedling trays under 7 inch humidity domes....

Pete. You are using bottle or cup? How do tis sip work and tis help no overwatering? And you use sip to root cutting or to grow pre rooted cutting? Being I wrap my cuttings in parafilm I no need humidity dome now correct unless there is bud or leaf on cutting befor I take out of SM

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Both...
            The cups are only for the cuttings that will be transplanted into # 2 pots as soon as the cups are full of roots and bartered.

The SIPs are what I currently use for growing out cuttings, its good for several months if there are delays in transplanting. I use them to root cuttings, but the reservoirs are never filled with water or nutrient solution as with normal SIPs, http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....ight=mini+sips
            Also the 2-liter SIPs are made without fabric wicks as shown in the attached links.

BTW, Please read this post as it applies to the use of SIPs for starting cuttings... http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....0&postcount=17
            Last edited by AscPete; 12-07-2015, 09:02 AM. Reason: added BTW...

Don't newly rooted cuttings in cups ect... Need bottom heat if no in humidity bin? How do roots get warmth if cutting is no in humidity bin but in sip? Because I wrap cuttings with parafilm I do tis to avoid humidity domes

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            I personally keep the rooting area (closet) warm at ~ 75 F.

Once the cuttings are rooted and growing they do not require a humidity bin.

The early humidity or moisture requirement is only necessary for the hydration of the dormant cuttings and to start the cells growing and forming roots.
          That's why burying most of the cutting works when rooting in deep containers (without humidity domes) or buried horizontally.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I understand. Grazie !

Comment

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              You're welcome...
              Photo # 6 shows my old setup with the cups.
              They were first pre-rooted in Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss in plastic bags, then potted in a well aerated pre-watered potting mix and place in a room at 75F without any additional humidity.

If the room's RH was very low I would take a few seconds to lightly mist the cuttings a few times each day.

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              You use no lights over them? Just ambient room lighting?

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Cuttings Do Not Need Light in the pre-rooting stage (Stage # 2), http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ow-s-and-why-s
              ( My only light for growing fig cuttings has been sunlight from south facing windows.)

The only exception are the few occasions that you have bud break and stem growth without any roots and the only way to keep the cutting alive and viable is to pot up and provide light and increased humidity (to prevent dehydration of the green growth) to keep it growing, as if it were a green stem cutting (or summer cutting).

My usual procedure has been to keep the cuttings at the warmer 75 F for an additional 2 weeks (with or without ambient light) after up potting to gain additional root development, then moving the growing cuttings into a 'growing area' in front of south facing windows where the room's temperature is usually 10 - 15 degrees lower..

I think the only advantage of the clear "pot" is that it can give you a warm and fuzzy feeling (or make you worry even more) because you can monitor growth. Roots grow away from light and the presence of light is also more likely to lead to algae growth. Some people who have rooted in clear drink cups have placed their cups inside of red cups to block the light but this still allows lifting the cup up so that they can check for root growth (and get that warm and fuzzy feeling) and then place it back.

If you can find a way to stop worrying, I think it's better just to root it in the black pot to begin with.

By the way, I don't use humidity domes, etc. but wrap the exposed portion of cuttings with Parafilm.
            My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              I love the warm and fuzzies lol

Also very good way to put it. With the black 4.4.9. Pots if I have a 5 inch 7 node cutting wrapped with parafilm completely besides the inch of exposed rooting portion I will no be able to plant very deep in 4.4.9. Pot correct? Or is okay to plant rooted cutting shallow in the pot?
            Also if I used clear 4.4.9. I post photo of could I use them but lined up in black plastic Rubbermaid bin ?

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't see any reason why it's necessary to plant deep in the pot. Leave about 3/4&quot; to 1&quot; empty space in top of pot as this makes it easier when watering later. Also, when you water, take into account that the roots aren't growing in the bottom of the pot early on so water pots based on your sense of weight, if necessary, just watering enough to moisten top area where cutting is growing. Later on, you can dip pots into water to help make sure bottom portion of soil is also moist.

I have a hypothesis that some cuttings which are more difficult to root or which have less vigorous roots may do better in larger pots than the 3x3x8 pots I've used in the prior two years and that's why I am using the 4x4x9 pots this year (plus some 1 gallon pots). But I am being a bit more careful in my watering practices with these larger pots.

Being the entire cutting is wrap in parafilm besides the 1-2 inch area left naked to root should I remove some film off bottom half of cutting before I cup or plant them? Remove all tape? Leave it all on and bury cutting with tape 1/2 way?
            My apologies to ask many question but tis my fort time to use film and I no want to lose these cuttings. Some are very special

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Parafilm's purpose is to prevent desiccation (drying out). Since desiccation isn't an issue below soil and, as Sarah stated, you want more cutting exposed to soil so that it will root, don't leave Parafilm on anything below the soil line.

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              This is my first time using parafilm as well guys so thanks for the tips! Actually.. This is my first time doing this with dormant cuttings now that I think of it lol! The rules are a bit different than with green cuttings too.. Found that out the hard way about 6 weeks ago

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Jamie, I root green fig cuttings the same as I do with dormant cuttings except that I try to strike (stick) them the same day I cut them.

I understand I will do as you say. Grazie!

Comment

Jamie. Is all part of being successful at tis. Failure makes wiser. Is over whelm with so many successful member with all own ways to do things and picking what work best for you. Tis my second rooting season and I still ask too many question.... But I ask because I care if the tree and want to learn most I can if it were as easy as cut branch off tree , stick in grounds and another tree grown that to me is no fulfilling enough for me to stay interested. Is the challenge to do the entire processes and have belle tree as reward

Comment

Harvey you are wrapping green cuttings in parafilm also?

Comment

Also - does everyone wrap their tip cuttings in parafilm too? Thats the one concern i have right now if the apicul bud can break through the parafilm.
                  May the Figs be with you!
                  ​​​​​

Comment

Apical tips and new buds break through parafilm just fine. It's not good for areas where you want root growth though.
                    Sarah
                    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
                      BrooklynMatty commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Sarah. I know to only wrap the cutting on top part, the parts that are not buried where i want root growth. I have seen Harvey's photos and it did look like he wrapped in film, but wasnt sure since i believe he uses buddytape and not parafilm brand, which stretches more. I wish i didnt have work travel coming up so i could start rooting sooner...boooo
                  Working...
                  X