X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RdB in December

The torrential rains have gone and these figs quit splitting. The SWD have gone. Several hard frosts have knocked of all of the leaves. Many of the figs show no signs of damage. Some do. Now they are coloring up beautifully. They are as hard as a brick. I will continue to watch them, if they progress. Once this plant started bearing, it never stopped. I enjoyed many fig from it until the rains came. Now if I only had enough heat to ripen these.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    PPP
    Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Oh wow... that's kind of heartbreaking...
    Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

Maybe a temp plastic "greenhouse" around one of the branches might help ripen them?

It's not ideal but it may raise temps enough to ripen. I moved some of my potted figs into my GH in october and had some late ripening.

Just a thought...
      Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

That is so cool that is it still covered with figs. I you get to eat some more PPP.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have a 6x10x7 portable greenhouse from Tractor Supply. I'd be temped to plop that thing right over the tree for some heat.
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

I am in the middle of making a small greenhouse out of cattle panels bought from Tractor Supply and plastic. The Cattle fence is 16x5 and when bowed over it would be 7x7x5 so 2 panels @ $20 each would give you 7x7x10 to cover with plastic. Its a really simple and inexpensive setup that would probably work well. Even 1 might be enough for you, put a small heater or even black rubber tires in there to heat up during the day and warm for the evening.
          2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

I like the small or temporary greenhouse ideas. Unfortunately, I have too much going on to find the daylight hours free to do this. I will sample them soon. They were all green when the leaves dropped. They do look pretty cool with their color, for this time of the year and no leaves.
            PPP
            Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Mmmm...Yummy!
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
              PPP
              Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Working...
              X