X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would a new bud no want to open?

I have couple new trees I purchase or get in trade that either came with or produced tip buds just past a leaf. They have no opens in couple weeks where I have another tree that had couple damage leaf and couple leaf with fig rust on them so I pulled them all off and with in2 week there's new buds and leafs all over that tree now. Are these stubborn buds just being stubborn? One trees stubborn buds look like it was ganna open but now look like is browning. I have no over watered and is under great lights and warm humid environment. Is there a way to help buds open?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

My first thought was patience....but I'm a newbie, so take it for what it's worth.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Could be in a growth lull, not quite dormant. Patience and fertilizer should do it.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

If the plants were in the process of going dormant before you got them, their metabolism has slowed down and may take a long time to ramp up.
        Last winter I tried to keep my small Preto going at a window all season. It did not lose any leaves but did not gain any until spring and stronger sunshine.
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Yup, what others say. Plants are sensitive to number of daylight hours and position of sun as well as temp. Seems they just know when not to put on new growth. If not in growing mode water carefully.
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Think I should decrease the surrounding temps until I can keep in about 40F for a few weeks? I wanted to keep them growing all season for tis season but if they no want to grow more now why waist lights and possible other damages? For instance one tree in general had one leaf with rust. I remove just that one leaf and now is small green bud at soil line come out. So some part of it want to grow but existing leaf and bud do nothing. Maybe I wait a while and see what happen.

Comment

Is this the Fico Pesco d'Oro I sent you? When I sent it to you, all my trees were starting to slow down and now are dormant, could be sleepy.
              Sarah
              Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

The main trunk on one of my younger trees this summer would not grow. It hit about a foot tall and then completely stopped growing. By the end of the summer, 3 suckers surpassed it in height. How do you guys explain that??
                Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• eboone
                  eboone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also have a few plants who did such nonsense.
                  I think this year I will do some airlayers on such rapid growing suckers...or keep the sucker and airlayer the original trunk?

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I plan on air layer tis tree as well but I am afraid to do anything to it just yet... The way my luck go so far tis year I may wait until Jan 1st๐Ÿ˜”

• ross
                  ross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I ended up cutting out a sucker and the main trunk when I did my pruning.

No no Sarah. Is not. I put you tree to sleep. She will wake up soon although

Comment

Do it work reverse as well? If you pinch top leaf it promote new growth sรฌ?

If you rub off bud or remove sucker will promote growth to top?

Comment

Working...
                  X