X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohh nooo, please tell me my fig tree is not coming out of dormancy already!

Hey everybody! I know most of us here in the northeast are enjoying the freakishly warm weather, but I noticed that one of my new trees (the biggest one I have" started leaking some sticky stuff.. I presume it's sap.. But I thought perhaps it got accidentally scraped, so I didn't think too much of it. But now today I am seeing what looks like a green bud coming out of the lower trunk! Seriously it's been so warm, today it hit over 60 degrees! I've got it in my attached unheated garage, but who needs heat when it's 60 degrees outside! Crap.. What do you guys think? What can I do if it is coming out of dormancy? I've attached a pic of the bud.. This tree is over 6 ft tall so I don't think I could really bring it inside all winter.. This tree is special to me because it's for my gram.. Salerno is her birthplace, and she had a tree when she was growing up (almost 100 years ago) that her dad brought with them from Salerno so that's why I searched for this particular variety (Unk Frank's Salerno). I don't want to lose it so any advice would be MUCH appreciated!
    Attached Files
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Where you live? 60 is to warm for dormant but in Chicago is 60 too. Is crazy weather but she will be okay I may have to uncover mine for few days

December correct we are in?
    Attached Files
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Omg even Chicago the "windy city" is almost 60 degrees in mid December! Never seen a winter like this in my life growing up in Jersey, never mind here in eastern PA where I live now! Normally (pre-fig life lol) I would pray for this kind of warmth in December.. But now I'm wishing for a little frost every day! So you think it will be ok? I know I'm a little oobatz/crazy with this tree lol but like I said it's for my gram.. So it's special

Yea, this weather is nuts - and that was my biggest fear as well. I've heard that people will throw a bag of ice cubes on the plant so it slowly drips for the plant and keeps it cooler. Hopefully some others will chime in.
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would give anything a try, thank you for your suggestion! My only fear is that the ice will melt right away with this warm weather lol! Would that simulate spring more you think? Maybe i should put it back outside at night only? Don't want to put out in the sun during the day, but it's chillier at night so maybe that would help? Ughh.. Im a nervous wreck.. Thank you though I definitely appreciate your idea!

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      I would leave out at night and do the shuffle in during the day. I did that for a few days where my garage was warming up due to this crazy weather. Friends and family think im weird because im complaining about this beautiful weather and hoping for 30-40 degree days, because of the figs

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! Me too!! My fam looks at me all funny when I say that.. Like "okay did aliens abduct my daughter/sister/mom/cousin or something???" Lol! So basically I will do the "Reverse fig shuffle!" Hehe! Got it, that makes perfect sense to me

Jamie she will be fine... Anything that starts to come out will slow as the temps drop and go to sleep. No worries. And yes is great weather here but is bad for my trees because I have few wrapped in insulation and tarp. So I much vent it until freeZe again or moisture will start and stay then will freeze. No good.

Ps

Windy City is called Windy City because of " Big Winded " politics
    No because is actually windy ahahaha although the wind do Howell threw out the skyscrapers!

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the assurance Mike😊!!! I do get worried quickly sometimes for stuff I shouldn't.. I'm just going to keep an eye on it & see what happens.. Im surprised this isn't happening to other people too though with this crazy weather..

I'm sure it is but is normal for people who can visual see the tree in winter. Mine always covered so I will no known until spring. I too worry too much "Cugino WillsC tell me a lot" but if I no have concern then I no love my trees... Capise ?

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      Capisco!!!! Yes!!! Mike this is exactly how I feel about it! If I'm not worried about something it's most likely because I don't care.. I don't know why it works this way lol but I couldn't help it if I tried..😊

Then we agree!.. You tree will be fine belle.... You have worried... Have answer and now you can known she will be fine

Comment

Jamie, I agree with Mike your tree will go dorment when cold temps return. That being said, since it is a really special tree to you, maybe you should start a few cuttings of it, in case there is an issue. You can always trade or gift them in the spring.
      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Dave for the assurance! I'm glad to hear you all are thinking my tree will be fine, even if by chance it is breaking dormancy. I will definitely take some cuttings now too just in case! That would be a little insurance policy of sorts since this tree does hold special meaning to me, then if I don't need them I can share them with you all! I'm really looking forward to being able to share some cuttings too since this is my first tree big enough to get more than one or two! Thanks a bunch Dave!

When you water, use ice cubes as mentioned and you can do the ice bag thing as well. Start with the trees you are concerned with. But you can water with ice cubes all dormant season if you like, I actually prefer it because they melt slow which gives the dryer upper layer of soil more of a chance to absorb the water versus it just running through to the bottom of the pot and causing excessive water problems down there. The cubes wont trigger a springtime response. I do this every year, but I just water with cubes and don't need to use bags. I also get to use snow from the snow bank on the north side of the house if all the other snow has melted, yay..lucky me.. eternal snow bank.
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use to live very close to Littleton myself (Wheat Ridge & then Brighton) about 10 years ago, so I can totally remember those eternal snowdrifts that you are talking about! Lol! Actually eastern PA was not too much different for the last 2-3 yrs than I remember Colorado being as far as the snow hanging around all winter to the end of spring pretty much, but this year is crazy. Never seen it so warm here as it is now. Thank you for these suggestions, I will definitely start adding some ice cubes then to keep those root temps down & discourage any more budding out. I really appreciate you sharing this tip & your experience with using ice cubes/snow to water. It definitely makes good sense to try this!
    Working...
    X