X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genovese Nero vs Genovese Nero AF

I just acquired Genovese Nero (super excited) and have been reading posts on it. Are Genovese Nero vs Genovese Nero AF one in the same? What does AF stand for?
    Is there an area on the forum that defines abbreviations? It would be a powerful tool for new members like me as abbreviations are used so often.

Adriano Ferreira.
    Gail, what a huge kettle of worms you just opened up with that question. This is the Game of Thrones of fig lore. I am sure others will fill you in on the details.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
      Rafaelissimmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Frank are you back?? Benvenuto

• FMD
      FMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, Raf. Once addicted always addicted. Glad to see you're still here. Looking around, it seems there's been an exodus of the old gang. New victims continue to pop up. LOL

I do not know the differences as well as many or why they have 2 versions but I have definitely read repeatedly that Genovese Nero AF is superior to Genovese Nero Rob's, which I believe is more like a California Brown Turkey.
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

To add another layer, GNAF is said by some to be the same as i258, but apparently that has also been debated.
      Wish list. White Baca, 5 Terre A UNK, Mario’s Casa di Lazzaro #50, Kafe Te Jiate, Creme di Fragola, Angelito, TD Yellow Crinkle

Comment

GN was initially distributed by 'AF' thru his nursery in the Toronto area, I think. Don't know where he got it initially but he seemed to have a bunch of figs straight from Italy. It was recognized as a great fig. Later, 'Rob' a respected member of the fig community, was selling cuttings of 'GN' he said were from his tree derived from AF, and it turned out to be some other fig. I believe it was a mistake somewhere along the line by Rob (or AF himself, who knows), not an intentional scam, but all hell and strife broke out on the old F4F forum over it as it got passed around. We don't need anything like that here. Please.
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Rewton
          Rewton commented
          Editing a comment
          Good summary, Ed.

• Netstars
          Netstars commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for a brief summary that contains a great deal of information. Many of us newer fig nuts did not have the full story Ed!

• Rigo007
          Rigo007 commented
          Editing a comment
          Like they say, grow the fruit first and then some...

Just like Golden Rainbow vs Golden Riverside vs Yellow Long
        WL : Regatta Rosso, Unk Pastilliere, Black Algier, Cipolla, Hative d'Argentieull, Reina de Malaga, Ascoli Piceno

Comment

Here we go........
          Zone 10B,
          WL: Madeira Island Black (MIB), Blk Mad KK, BNR, PR, MR, Pastillere.

Comment

• Rigo007
            Rigo007 commented
            Editing a comment
            🤣🤣🤣

I have I-258 and Texas Everbearing do I need both GN's too?

Comment

• AZfig
            AZfig commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes

I258 and GN AF are the same according to Dan Foster and myself if that means anything.

Comment

• drew51
            drew51 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, just wanted others to chime in. Mine should fruit for the first time, excited about it! A lot of my premium figs are ready this year. It can only get better too. Looks like a big crop this year! Thanks for the info!
            GN Rob's is thought to be Texas Everbearing, The Rob's version should go away if we can confirm it.

• Brian M
            Brian M commented
            Editing a comment
            It should go away and just stick to Texas ever bearing

• CliffH
            CliffH commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought that "Rob's" was supposed to be Texas Blue Giant. Not Everbearing. I could be wrong. I do have one, but it only fruited once before I used it for root stock.

But I agree. The Rob's version should just be dropped from trade.

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
          I258 and GN AF are the same according to Dan Foster and myself if that means anything.

Add me as another to that list of believers... scion retailers of both cultivars were none too pleased with me when I began voicing my belief that they were the same on F4F in 2016.
          CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

Thank you for all the info (laughs and jabs, too ). I'm in SE Michigan and trying to follow CJ Andre's recommendations in a video he made regarding figs that do well here. I wrote GN in my notes, but he may have said GNAF. I'll have to go back and see. I was able to acquire an I-258, so it looks like I'm covered.
            Last edited by Gail; 06-27-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Well i guess i need a GNAF. Lol 😁
              https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
              WL: Raspberry Latte, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

I bought 4 gnaf cuttings from 4 different people 3 out of the 4 turned out to be robs gn. Genovese nero af will have leaves that look like I-258 I haven't decided if they are the same yet.

Comment

"Genovese nero af will have leaves that look like I-258 I haven't decided if they are the same yet."
                  Thanks for that info! I have a DM into the seller (Harvey), but will compare GN leaves to I-258 once they settle in and unfold from shipping.

Comment

Hi Gail, I also bought GN from Harvey. Do you remember if these were sold as Rob's or as AF?

Comment

• Gail
                      Gail commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Harvey's fig trees that he sells GNs are AF. I contacted him to confirm and he responded with -
                      "..., this fig originally came from Adriano in Canada, and that is Adriano F. I don't always use AF behind it as Adriano didn't, it was added by some about 4 years ago. I don't sell trees of Rob's version, though it has been a very productive fig for me and not too shabby."

However, as SoCalFigs points out he sells cuttings of both.
                      Last edited by Gail; 06-28-2019, 05:41 AM. Reason: To include clarification and updated info offered by members in additonal comments.

Uteas according to Harvey's cuttings page, he sold both versions. Did you buy them rooted or as cuttings?

http://www.figaholics.com/cuttings.htm
                    Evan. Wish list - Any Mario variety
                    SoCal - Zone 10a
                    YouTube - Fig Reviews & Info

Comment

• Gail
                      Gail commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting observation. It appears the trees that he sells are only GN AF (see my above comment), but sells cuttings of both AF and Rob's.

If you purchased cuttings during Harvey's cutting sale, you would have gotten an email confirmation from PayPal listing exactly what you purchased. Unless you're one of those people who trashes all your email after reading it, search your old mail for "Correia Farms" and you should find it. Not sure how he handles plant sales, but perhaps also through the PayPal system?
                    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                    – Source Unknown
                    MA 5b/6a

Comment

Many thanks...I bought cuttings, so they could be either one. I appreciate this.

Comment

Ones I258 and the other one is something else that no one ever put the real name to.

Comment

Ok, so basically GN AF is I-258 and we've all seen pictures of it. But what about Rob's GN? Does anyone have a picture?

Comment

Working...
                        X