X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repel Squirrelsfrom Figs with Rosemary

Hi all,

This past summer in addition to wrapping my figs with blossom bags, I put a small spring of Rosemary and it seemed to repel the squirrels in addition to the blossom bags.

That's a neat tip. I'll have to give it a try next season.

Comment

I had to read the tittle twice, at first glance I thought it was a recipe for squirrel with fig and rosemary.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Visceral
        Visceral commented
        Editing a comment
        That doesn't sound half bad actually.

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I was thinking!!! Got kind of exited to try squirrel a new way.

A VdB that was growing next to a resemary bush was a favorite with my squirrels
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I actually tied the Rosemary sprig to the blossom bag close to the fig. Although its not a good picture, I have the rosemary tucked inside the row cover (I ran out of blossom bags for this tree). You can see the sprig poking out a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rosemary_fig.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	55146
        Last edited by masterful; 12-13-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

@COG, mmmm.... squirrels with fig and rosemary

.... actually, the more I think about it, I bet it would be pretty good.

Comment

Perhaps, a mission to come up with a recipe. Now...where did the squirrels go???

Sorry we hijacked your thread masterful!!!
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Did you put other herbs and spices in the other bags and leave some with no additives? Then you could really test your theory. I think the best way to keep squirrels away from things you like comes in .22 caliber.
              Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• DBJohnson
                DBJohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                I love my Ruger 10/22. It is instant death to squirrel and rabbits. Accurate as anything you'll find right out of the box.

My pellet gun and wrist rocket have done quite the job of ridding my yard of these pests, I was blow away by how many they were, I quite counting them. It's like Hydra, you cut one head off and two more rise up to take it's place.

Comment

Originally posted by COGardener View Post
                Perhaps, a mission to come up with a recipe. Now...where did the squirrels go???

no worries, actually sounds funny

Comment

OK....you guys have made me hungry.
                  Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

It's time to get our squirrel on Bryant!

Comment

Originally posted by COGardener View Post

I wish they would go. I counted about 60 +-20 while working in the yard today. You guys are welcome to any, I bet they all taste like figs after that many stolen from me
                      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

See Igor, here is how it works. The squirrel eats you figs and the figs become part of the squirrel.. right. So if you eat the squirrels in a way you get your figs back plus a little satisfaction along the way.

Last year (2014) I removed more than 100, no idea where they are all coming from!!! This year (2015) I stopped counting around 40 most have been more than 60 before I healed up and started traveling again.

It is time to let lose the hounds of war!

Comment

With as many oaks as I have on my property you'd think I would be crawling with squirrels....nothing doing. Have only seen 5 or 6 this year. The rabbit population is down, but that can be explained by the foxes and coyotes. Not sure what would keep the squirrel population low. Today was the last day of firearms season for deer....so I may go still hunting later this week and see if the situation has changed.
                          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Working...
                          X