X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Figs

Hello everyone,

I haven't read about a red fig that didn't get good reviews, so I decided to root some and see what everyone was raving about. Through my research I've found that they can be a little confusing, and there isn't much information out there on some varieties... Especially the red varieties from the middle east. I've seen many threads on people listing their favorite black or green fig, but what about red? Hopefully this thread can set the record straight & shine some light on the 3rd cousin and twice removed fig of the fig world.

Here's a list of some I've come across:

1. Lebanese Red - This one is from Bass: "Fig originally from Tripoli, Lebanon. Excellent flavor and so far great performer. Very large breba crops turn bronze color once ripe. The main crop is red. Both crops have a very fine flavor." Tree has been grown in ground in zone 6 for several years with minimal cold damage.
    2. Red Libya - Said to be an unknown from the Arabic community collected locally. Has a tight eye, many agree that it's a good grower, and a high quality tasting fig. Actually looks more dark/purple than red. Can someone confirm?
    3. Shar Israel - May have a red tint. Said to be in the top 5 of 100 new cultivars by Wills.
    4. Red Palestine/Khurtmani - Are these all the same fig? Adriano says that Khurtmani is the best fig in Israel, but also suspected by many to be just a Brunswick.
    5. Aldo/Sals C/Palermo Red/Sicilian Red - A very well known variety among fig enthusiasts for it's quality and taste. Has a red tint.
    6. Malta Purple Red - Couldn't find much on it. Supposedly has good taste. Tony of MountainFigs says that it seems much like Palermo Red, and will be doing a comparison.
    7. FMD's NJ Red - Compact almost dwarf like grower. Said to be, "not a sweet fig - not as sweet as Celeste but it was juicy, rich, and a complex berry like flavor with a nice crunch."
    8. Little Red Ruby - Sold by WellspringGardens. Description is: Small tree produces abundant red colored fruit. Anyone have any other info on this one? Kinda reminds me of NJ Red. I'll be growing both, so we'll see what's what.
    9. Red Israel/Israel Red - Are these different?
    10. LSU Red - Said to be an excellent cultivar and seems to be very hard to find.
    11. German Red
    12. Red Lebanese Bekka Valley - From Marius & very different from Bass' version. Seems to do well in many climates.
    13. Hunt - Bred by B. W. Hunt. Supposedly a hybrid of Celeste, Green Ischia and Brown Turkey. Said to be a large Celeste with an elongated neck. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this one.
    14. UCR 150-60 - Reminds me of Hunt. Strangely, the skin can be a few different colors: http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_UCR_160-50.html
    15. Hmari - Supposedly there's two varieties. One with red skin? The other green. Named by the Arabic word "Ahmar" which means red. A Bass variety.
    16. Calliope's Red Greek
    17. Chios Red

I'm sure there are many more. I'd love to hear about your experiences with any of these or some not listed. Maybe some pictures? Are any of these the same fig? What's your top 3 in the red fig category?
    Last edited by ross; 12-14-2015, 01:23 PM.
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

A Schar Israel was not very red for me:
    http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ar-israel-ripe

Zingarella was almost red:
    http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...r-s-zingarella
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• ross
      ross commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, I guess the lighting was off on the pictures I saw here: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....pid=1289667111

Shar Israel definitely doesn't look nearly as red as the others. Maybe I should keep this thread to distinctly red varieties only?
      Last edited by ross; 12-14-2015, 10:46 AM.

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Hunt is brown, or green-brown. With figs, there is real purple, black, green, yellow, brown, and apparently gray and mottled, also maroon, which is the closest I've seen to red, for example with Palermo Red. Citrus seems to have staked the claim on orange. Some photos of Madelaine Des Deux Seasons seem to show it to be maroon like Palermo Red. The Mt Etnas can get a very blue look to them at times, ripening largely blue (or sometimes brown or even green if very shaded) rather than purple maybe edging toward black.

I have a Sicilian Red (MN) that was distributed originally Marius Ndelcu and is a different fig than the other Sicilian/Palermo Red. Mine was more of a purple fig similar to Mt Etnas in fruit and leaf except the fruit was slightly larger; did not look at all red to me.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ronde de Bordeaux can ripe as a quite red (maroon) fig. This seemed to be the typical Ronde de Bordeaux color here this past year, though often RdB shows up darker in photographs.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Beall looks to have a reddish skin as well.
        Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

Nice resource, thanks
          Phoenix, AZ
          Zone 9b
          Hot, mostly

Comment

This is the reddest fig I have seen. This is an unknown (misplaced label by the person who gave me the cuttings). The first two photos are from early Sept, surprisingly the third photo is the same variety from Oct 12 - drier weather and cooler.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• ross
              ross commented
              Editing a comment
              It's amazing how figs can be different colors depending on climate. Any idea what that is, Ed?

• eboone
              eboone commented
              Editing a comment
              VS on F4F said it was Alma, but the leaf does not look like those posted by others for Alma, and others on that thread thought the leaf was wrong too. He did not comment again after I posted the pic of the later purple color figs.

My source gave me the cuttings that were from a tree he got from a collector with over 500 trees, but that collector had failed to label the young tree. In short, no idea. It tasted very good, both colors.

I've yet to hear anything about Red Palestine/Khurtmani. I asked around and didn't get much response. Anyone growing these two?
            Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

• CajunB
              CajunB commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello Ross,I am growing the Red Palestine from Israel,looks like a Brunswick to me also...........this year I will post pics of it .

• Lance
              Lance commented
              Editing a comment
              ross, according to Condit:

Mwazi: (syns. Khurtmani, Eseli). Described and illustrated by Grasovsky and Weitz (1932) as one of the best figs for fresh use grown in southern Palestine.Trees are large, but not very prolific; breba crop good. Second-crop figs large, pyriform, with prominent neck; stalk short; eye open, scales purple; skin thin, glossy, greenish, with purple ribs; pulp amber; flavor sweet and delicious.P.I. No. 80,297, introduced into California as Khurtmani, proved to be identical with Brunswick.

I found in the garden of my friend the fig variety "Dalmatian" with a red leather. Unique fig, agree.

Comment

I asked Herman about Red Israel/Red Palestine/Khurtmani. This is what he said, "First thing you are in PA,the true Red Israel,(Khurtmanni) is the same as Brunswick,in the US and is not good in your climate,in that it ripe too slow,and spoils ,in the rain.
              However this fig is the best tasting fig of Israel because in such dry,and hot climate,it produces super tasty large fruits.
              The fig ,with very red fruits ,is not Red Israel,but Red Palestine,and it is a diff. cultivar,better in your climate.
              The fig called Khurtmanni,in The fig of Israel ,site, is the same as Red Palestine,again will be OK in your climate.

The Genuine Khurtmanni,is the fig called Brunswick in this country.

This is my H.O.
              "

Essentially there are two Khurtmani's floating around. One that's a Brunswick, the other is Red Palestine, which has very red skin.
              Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

Sabrutsiya pink, require pollination.Excellent taste of figs, known only in Russia, the Krasnodar region and the Crimea.

Comment

• ofon
                  ofon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks excellent. Thank you!

what is the best flavored red varieties? excellent taste?
                Please subscribe to my youtube channel all about figs https://www.youtube.com/c/kimtien
                If you are a local in WA please check out my figbid thank you!
                https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...seattlefiggirl

Comment

I’m rooting Batroun Red, I believe it was a Bass find. Obviously its too early to say anything about it. I’ve also aquired a Porporato last season. In photos the figs looked red with a cracked skin.
                  Wish list. White Baca, 5 Terre A UNK, Mario’s Casa di Lazzaro #50, Kafe Te Jiate, Creme di Fragola, Angelito, TD Yellow Crinkle

Comment

• Netstars
                    Netstars commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am growing a Porporato now. It is taking off with strong growth. How is your Porporato doing?

• Dtownfigs
                    Dtownfigs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Kind of dormant at the moment, but I’m trying to keep it that way as I’m overwhelmed with all the new cuttings and grafts I’ve got going. I did notice that it is pushing a breba, so looking forward to see what happens

I have a three year old little red ruby plant in a decent sized container. Always produces, always healthy. Good figs.

Comment

I purchased “Super Red Hybrid” from JD. Here is a link on his website: https://southernfigsforum.com/index....65.html#msg365 Fig Malaysia on Fakebook says “This is SUPER HYBRID RED,it will be our next figs fruit production program with this variety.This variety is different from those varieties that we planted earlier i.e. Masui Dauphine and Jumbo.because of its taste and fruit texture, SHR is slightly sweeter and crunchy,and I belived it is good for fresh fruit production.The figs colour when it is fully ripening will be red to shining burgundy with white to yellow polka dot. First and second picture is the current fruiting in the rain shelter house,third and fourth picture was taken few months ago,taken from the mother plant which was planted in open area,for information this variety is a very very good wheather resistant plant and fruits,they can stand raining and hot season without cracking or damage the fruits,well let see the progress later !”
                    I can’t wait to taste it.
                    I HAVE had the pleasure of eating my Red Lebanese Beka’a Valley, and it was wonderful.
                    Wish List: I need another fig tree like I need a hole in the head.

Comment

I am a long time reader, and generally dont post, I could be wrong but a real Khurtmani is not the same as a Brunswick in my opinion, and I dont think it even looks the same.
                      Last edited by Jimyboy; 03-14-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Jimyboy -
                        There is archeological evidence of fig cultivation on Mediterranean Sea islands 6,000 years ago, and figs were likely cultivated in areas adjacent to the entire North African coast at that time as well. So cultivars from biblical times are considered relatively recent.

​​​​​​Here is Condit's entry for Khurtmani:
                        "Mwazi (syns. Khurtmani, Eseli). Described and illustrated by Grasovsky and Weitz (1932) as one of the best figs for fresh use grown in southern Palestine. Trees are large, but not very prolific; breba crop good. Second-crop figs large, pyriform, with prominent neck; stalk short; eye open, scales purple; skin thin, glossy, greenish, with purple ribs; pulp amber; flavor sweet and delicious."

Condit also states that it is synonymous with Brunswick, but I would take that with a grain of salt until they can be genetically tested.
                        Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

You can add Val Rosso to that list: https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...d-of-val-rosso
                          I've got 4 rooting right now, only heard great things.
                          Toronto (6b)
                          WL: Pastilliere, Nerino, Gisotta Nero

Comment

Ross,

My Little Ruby is uniformly the color of the shell of a hazelnut, no additional color overtones. It's a delicious fig. Dead ripe, it tastes exactly like the filling of a Fig Newton. At least it does to me. Alas, it is a small fig, both in fruit (cherry tomato sized), and tree stature. Worth growing? Yes, but only for its novelty nature.

Thorntorn
                            Last edited by Thorntorn; 03-15-2020, 12:05 PM.
                            W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                              Jimyboy -
                              There is archeological evidence of fig cultivation on Mediterranean Sea islands 6,000 years ago, and figs were likely cultivated in areas adjacent to the entire North African coast at that time as well. So cultivars from biblical times are considered relatively recent.

​​​​​​Here is Condit's entry for Khurtmani:
                              "Mwazi (syns. Khurtmani, Eseli). Described and illustrated by Grasovsky and Weitz (1932) as one of the best figs for fresh use grown in southern Palestine. Trees are large, but not very prolific; breba crop good. Second-crop figs large, pyriform, with prominent neck; stalk short; eye open, scales purple; skin thin, glossy, greenish, with purple ribs; pulp amber; flavor sweet and delicious."

Condit also states that it is synonymous with Brunswick, but I would take that with a grain of salt until they can be genetically tested.

I am growing a Khurtmani and recieved directly from Palestine. The entry in Condit describes it precisely. I have 5 great varieties growing and this is my favorite (in Zone 9A). It loves the heat and it is over 11 feet tall in just 3.5 years. Highly recommended. btw, Khurtmani means "Nose" in Arabic. the way the fruit is carried on this fig is very distinctive and resembles a nose as the long stem bends with the fig hanging on it

Comment

Burgan seems pretty red so far.
                                Lebanon, Oregon Zone 8a

Comment

Here are a couple of my red figs, “ROSSELLINO” actually translates to “LITTLE RED”
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	B102B05B-D6B2-4C85-A2A3-6C6B754F8C7D.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	758875Click image for larger version

Name:	786037B5-D2E9-44F4-A592-568BD69C8337.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	866.5 KB
ID:	758876
                                  Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

Have a graft of Batroun Red. Will see how it goes. All my trees except my Smith got smoked by late frost.

Comment

Turca MP

Name:	IMG_3510.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	759016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3507.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	759017