X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone used the Octo-Cloner for Figs?

Well, Christmas has come early for me. My sister bought me an Octo-Cloner and it arrived today. I just finished assembly of the unit (pretty easy). Has anyone tried using this cloner or another brand in cloning figs? I was thinking of using it for my hot peppers and a few spices but I was curious how it does with figs. [I would use this to experiment on my lemon, lime and blueberry plant, but they all came from the island of misfit and unloved plants]. With a unit like this, which cuttings would be better, thin, standard (pencil thickness) or thick? Would smaller cuttings (3-4") work better in this compared to a 6" cutting? Soooo many questions. Any ideas and/or suggestions?? I want to experiment now!!!!
    Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
    Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Have never used one but want one. I have had one in my Amazon cart for a month. I also have in my cart Z7 Enzyme Cleanser, 8-Ounce to keep the reservoir clean.

Be sure to post how yours works for you.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Will do. I think I am going to try it on my Datil Peppers and blackberries first, just to become familiar with it. Then, we'll see about fig cuttings.

Comment

I haven't, but have tried hydroponic bubble cloners, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...dwc-fig-cloner The links in the OP will take you to member Snaglpus he's posted about his success with aeroponic cloners to pre-root dormant fig cuttings.

IMO, more of the dormant fig cutting should be placed below the neoprene plugs to get better root development, but I'm not an advocate of using cloners for pre-rooting dormant fig cuttings. They excel with green stem cuttings including green or summer fig cuttings. Good Luck.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
          Rafaelissimmo commented
          Editing a comment
          Pete I have found that dipping the cutting too deep leads to rot. Also, my experiment with summer cuttings this summer resulted in tender green cuttings drying up whereas older wood with green tips ended up doing exceeding well.

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Rafael,
          Thanks for the info. I didn't use the cloners this year, too busy.

That makes sense Pete. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Well I have no experience really but I myself just got a 36 site Clone King and I'm on my first batch right now, about 8-9 days in so far. I'm trying both green and dormant cuttings and they seem to both be doing good. Already have nodes swelling and all looks promising but won't know for another week probably.
          Bryan | Zone 7 NC

Wish List: Takoma Violet, Kathleen Black, BM, Preto, CdD Grise and Noir, Ventura, Maltese Falcon and Maltese Beauty.

Comment

• efletche
            efletche commented
            Editing a comment
            If you would Bryan, post how your cuttings are doing down the road. I'd be very interested.

Will do! I'm certainly hoping for the best. I am having issues with the clear gel stuff building up on cuttings already and this is with me adding peroxide every 2-3 days as suggested by Snaglpus in his topic.
          Bryan | Zone 7 NC

Wish List: Takoma Violet, Kathleen Black, BM, Preto, CdD Grise and Noir, Ventura, Maltese Falcon and Maltese Beauty.

Comment

I noticed the instructions said to use reverse osmotic 0ppp water. Any idea where to get that? a hydroponics store?

Comment

The local Publix sells it here. You can bring in a clean 1 gallon jug or one of those translucent blue 3 or 5 gallon water jugs. You put it in the machine, put in the correct change and fill up.
              PPP
              Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Okay, I am going to bet that is what is in my Publix as well. Looks like I need to drink a lot of milk tonight .. or lots of milk shakes!!

Comment

I use tap water, dechlorinated by resting for 24 hrs
                  Rafael
                  Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X