X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade: My premier stone fruit trees for figs

I'm relatively new to figs but have been pursing the worlds best stone fruit since 1971. The best I've found by far if properly grown are the Honey series, yellow-fleshed, low-acid nectarines from Zaiger's breeding program and sold by Dave Wilson Nursery. My experiences comparing these to other fruits has been published here:

http://www.davewilson.com/home-garde...-in-west-texas

These can be purchased from DWN but the minimum order is 150 trees total and bundles of 10 by variety. To my knowledge they can't be purchased elsewhere.

I have excess trees of Honey May, Honey Lite, Honey Fire, Honey Blaze, Honey Royale, and Honey Diva on two rootstocks, standard Lovell and a dwarf that increases fruit brix. The dwarf would be especially good in pots.

DWN yellow flesh nectarines info here: http://www.davewilson.com/product-in...low-nectarines

I'd trade these for equally rare or high quality fig cultivars, cuttings or plants.

Also on both roots: Polar Light, Arctic Sweet, Pearl Time and Arctic Snow white flesh nectarines. My best peach Valley Sweet and my latest peach Sweet September.
    Last edited by fruitnut; 12-15-2015, 01:17 PM.
    Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
    http://growingfruit.org/

I wish I know how well those varieties did in the NE with our rain and pests and diseases. My first nectarine tree is hopefully going to give some ripe fruit this year, the few it had last year got really deformed, I think from stink bugs eating the skin, then the fruit later dropped
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

I have seen pictures of the fruit and the refractometer......they are too die for. If they would grow here I would jump on it.
      Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

What are the zone ratings and chill requirements?
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

"I'd trade these for equally rare or high quality fig cultivars, cuttings or plants"

Could you give an example of what you expect from "rare or high value"? And would you expect fig cuttings or started fig trees? Any restrictions on shipping out of state?

Thanks!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by COGardener View Post
            What are the zone ratings and chill requirements?
            Zone 6 for the Honey series. You don't want temps below -10. The link to Dave Wilson Nurseries provided states chill hours.
            Three of the Honey series are grown by Mosers commercial nursery in Michigan, so they can (proven to) grow in zone 6.

Comment

Well I'm out then sadly. It's not that warm over our winters even on the warmest of years. Thank you for the offer Andrew.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I wish I had more to trade. This sounds like a great offer.

Comment

Originally posted by COGardener View Post
                  Well I'm out then sadly. It's not that warm over our winters even on the warmest of years. Thank you for the offer Andrew.
                  Well it's not my offer, but you are welcome for the info. Some zone pushers have grown peaches in colder zones, although I would start with known hardy peaches first. I grow them and have lost fruit buds some years. Not this year though! A good year!

This offer is excellent, these nectarines are proven high grade low acid types. Flavors I heard even described as tropical. These are very unique and near impossible to obtain.

Comment

I have many splendid and rare varieties and I'm always looking for more. Biggest problem for me is not pushing zones, it is chill hours.

I must have varies with extremely high chill hours. Most years buds break in March or April, I have hard frosts until mid May. Which of course means. .. no fruit on those trees.

So I have been over grating or eliminating them.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your interest. The Honey series trees are all gone.
                      Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
                      http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X