X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can encourage people to offer cuttings here or discourage them. Here's how.

I'm not in any position of authority but I have been around the block a few times and have done mass distributions of cuttings in the past. People who want cuttings can make it easy or hard on on those who give out cuttings. If you make life miserable for your benefactors you won't have any more benefactors.

Here's how to make life easy on people who give out cuttings. If they have a good experience they'll want to give out cuttings more often. If they have a bad experience they may never give out cuttings again. Your choice.

1. Read the descriptions carefully and don't file complaints against people who are giving you cuttings for very little money (or anyone else, for that matter) until you're absolutely sure the date you were supposed to get them by has passed *and* the sender won't work with you.

2. Don't badger the sender if you haven't sent money. If cuttings were supposed to be available Dec 1 and it's now Dec 25 and there's been no word, be patient. My figs are still bleeding white latex. Usually at this time of year all the figs are dormant but take a look at the weather. Cuttings wait for dormancy. Even if it's been cold and plants are likely to be dormant all kinds of things can happen - family or personal emergencies or what have you. If you're contacting the sender so are 300 other people. No one has time to answer all of those PMs. Be patient. I know several people who can't post any more because they get too many emails/PMs every time they do. Others have disabled their PMs for that reason.

3. Be patient. Once the plants are dormant it takes hundreds of person-hours to cut and label branches, then cut and label cuttings. If it took less they wouldn't be offering them on a large scale (publicly on forums).

4 YOU pay the fees on PP. I usually send a few extra $$ as a way of saying 'thank you'. That encourages people to send cuttings more often.

Many people want to give away cuttings for low or no cost other than postage. Be grateful, patient and generous in return. Tread softly on their time and energy. In the long run you'll reap a lot more cuttings that way
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Some terrific words of advise Bob, thank you.

SO WHERE ARE MY CUTTINGS!!!??!?!?!!???!!!!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• WillsC
      WillsC commented
      Editing a comment
      Lmao

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, I had to!!!

• Harborseal
      Harborseal commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, that's the spirit!

One other item. If the person states a set way they want you to order PLEASE follow it to the letter. Check and double check. You have no idea how much extra time it takes to try to match up a email address from paypal to a user name. If the steps are followed it is an easy process but if 5 people don't it really gets tough to sort through all the folks buying to find out who just sent you the $ and they wanted what????
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Just wear you decoder ring Wills and all will be good!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Bob you are a generous member with sage advice, thank you for these thoughts with which I wholeheartedly agree.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Good stuff Bob.

Comment

Only if your getting them from me then you might want to remind me. Lol. Great advice gurous
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Working...
            X