X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LV5 Tre Pacchi

I picked up a LV5 Tre Pacchi small plant from Taverna78 and it’s on its second season.
    It was pretty bland last year and again this year. I tried one that wasn’t this ripe and not much flavor at all , so I let this fig dry until it was ready to fall off.
    I’m definitely not impressed.
    Not sure this one is worth keeping.
    Anyone else tasted this variety?

Sacramento Ca. 9b

Are you sure this fig can withstand your heat? What did it look like last year? And have you tried picking this one somewhere in the middle? I will admit I know nothing about this variety. Just throwing things out there.
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• Vae Victus
      Vae Victus commented
      Editing a comment
      While it's been a long time since I lived in the Sacramento area I don't remember it being too hot in the summer and the leaf in the photo looks healthy. I'd guess if it can't be grown in Sacramento the only place cooler would be Oregon or Washington. I wonder if this variety just needs an excessive amount of time to start producing great tasting figs or if it is a variety designed to be processed a certain way (either dried or made into preserves) or used as fodder for livestock. Or perhaps if it's potted it needs to be in ground. But it certainly doesn't look appealing at all, mostly because it looks like it's supposed to be a dried fig because of the color of the exterior and the interior. Of course a fig in a less ripe state might have a more appealing look.

Ross, yes about the same as last year. I tried a couple while they were still plump and not so shriveled, but not much different taste wise as the one in the pic. This is why I thought having it dry a bit on the tree would help, flavor wise. Interior color was of course lighter. Very bland with not much a hint of anything. Lol. The one in the pic looks almost spoiled but it’s not. Doing some searches showed some that were close but more reddish interior. I’ll give it one more year and see what transpires ...
    Sacramento Ca. 9b

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5BF1A9E-4D38-4982-BDDC-C93DC913CDB1.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	588429Click image for larger version

Name:	CCBEB0E2-1AB0-4881-A090-CF70E420D5B1.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	588428Click image for larger version

Name:	1848D6A5-D893-4F58-9635-6A53AE55F435.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	588427 Update.
      Hard to believe these are from the same tree!!
      pulled these yesterday and night and day difference in looks, taste and texture from last year and earlier fruit from this year. Not sure if it’s caprification that transformed them but looks like I won’t be culling this one.
      Sacramento Ca. 9b

Comment

If you want to experiment I can root a couple cuttings this winter and see how it does in Oregon. I don’t know who else has this one but it’d be interesting to see if it’s more suited to a cooler climate. Maybe see if there are people from multiple areas willing to grow and report back.
        Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, St Martin, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, hmadi, Syrian dark, raasti

Comment

• Ichijiku
          Ichijiku commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think it’s the heat? The latest ones just went thru 105+ temps here last week. The earlier ones didn’t see over 85 deg. My plant came from NJ.

I just received an LV5 from Evdurtschi and can't really find much info on it. Is LV5 Tre Pacchi the full name?

Comment

• Lance
          Lance commented
          Editing a comment
          Mandarin orange? That is a flavor I could dig.

• Ichijiku
          Ichijiku commented
          Editing a comment
          Lance, when I acquired the tree from Taverna78 it was listed as Tre Pacchi LV5 and labeled as this as well. I couldn’t find much info on it either. I have a couple more on the tree that haven’t ripened yet. I’m not the best at describing the flavors but IMHO it’s worth having. As stated , I believe the caprification is what makes these otherwise bland no flavor figs into the ones you see in my update pics.

• Lance
          Lance commented
          Editing a comment
          Ichijiku thanx for the info. I just wanted to pick up a Larusso variety and Eric made it happen.
      Working...
      X